PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
From James Herriot's All Things Bright and Beautiful. Herriot's writing is full of pipe smoking. My son is reading excerpts for an assignment and pointed out a few to me. Here are some excerpts. What other books discuss pipes in such detail?
"Joe tapped out his pipe on his heel and without haste took out a knife and began to carve a refill from an evil looking coil of black twist."
"That baccy smells marvelous, I said, what is it?

Navy Cut De Luxe. He closed his eyes again. "You know, I could eat the smoke".

I laughed. I use the ordinary Navy Cut myself.

He gazed at me like a sorrowing Buddha. Oh, you mustn't, laddie. You must'nt. This is the only stuff. Rich...fruity.... His hand made languid motions with his hand.
Hear, you can take some away with you.

He pulled open a drawer. I had a brief view of a stock which wouldn't disgrace a fair sized tobacconists shop; unnumberable tins, pipes, cleaners, reamers, cloths.

Try this, he said, And tell me if I am not right.

I looked down at the first container in my hand. Oh but I can't take this, it's a four ounce tin."

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I've never read a book that described tobacco like that, thanks for sharing. All Things Bright and Beautiful seems to be a fitting title.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It is a good, soft read. A far cry from Red Storm Rising, but, it is always satisfying to read. My son thinks it is rather "gross" in it's descriptions of birthing calves and foals. Time that I indoctrinate him in the art of cleaning an animal for sustenance.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It is one of the hard problems of human consciousness. How can something good come from such bads, or at least things that scare us like death, violence, natural selection, and inequality?
It's interesting about Red Storm, which is a "light read" if that term is still used. On this round through, I am touched most by the human details hidden in a great war story. This is what Tom Clancy did that Larry Bond alone generally did not, although I enjoy Bond's books as well.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
From James Herriot's All Things Bright and Beautiful. Herriot's writing is full of pipe smoking. My son is reading excerpts for an assignment and pointed out a few to me. Here are some excerpts. What other books discuss pipes in such detail?[/unquote]
Thanks for the tip. Since I loved the TV series in the 80'ies, I have immy reserved some of Herriot's books at my local library I shall see if I recall other books discussing our 'hobby'.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Clancy is (was) fantastic at character development. I always felt like I knew Jack. Fun reads albeit a bit foreshadowing at times.
Herriot's books are better than the series but I always enjoy the BBC series when I find one to watch.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Uncle Charles smoked such black twist that at last his nephew suggested to him to enjoy his morning smoke in a little outhouse at the end of the garden.
— Very good, Simon. All serene, Simon, said the old man tranquilly. Anywhere you like. The outhouse will do me nicely: it will be more salubrious.
— Damn me, said Mr Dedalus frankly, if I know how you can smoke such villainous awful tobacco. It’s like gunpowder, by God.
— It’s very nice, Simon, replied the old man. Very cool and mollifying.
Every morning, therefore, uncle Charles repaired to his outhouse but not before he had greased and brushed scrupulously his back hair and brushed and put on his tall hat. While he smoked the brim of his tall hat and the bowl of his pipe were just visible beyond the jambs of the outhouse door. His arbour, as he called the reeking outhouse which he shared with the cat and the garden tools, served him also as a sounding-box: and every morning he hummed contentedly one of his favourite songs: O, TWINE ME A BOWER or BLUE EYES AND GOLDEN HAIR or THE GROVES OF BLARNEY while the grey and blue coils of smoke rose slowly from his pipe and vanished in the pure air.
https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/j/joyce/james/j8p/chapter2.html
92% of modern cliches were ripped from Joyce or Faulkner.

rodo

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 1, 2014
Central Arkansas
May I self promote? It is not about pipe smoking but the protagonist is a pipe smoker. Even the imprint logo features a smoking platypus. The book is humorous. Well, that is to say, it is supposed to be humorous.
https://www.amazon.com/Merely-Academic-R-Miller/dp/069295208X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515588494&sr=8-1&keywords=merely+academic

Status
Not open for further replies.