PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
Hello.
I’m still very new to pipe smoking, and I love everything about it….except the inability to really enjoy the smoking part (smile) due to the learning curve (not staying lit, not getting good taste, poor packing technique and all the other newbie errors you can think of. I trust that it will come in time.
Now to my question….I just bought a $10 estate pipe to learn about what it takes to get estate pipes to smoking condition. There is a LOT of cake in the bowl. May I get a few opinions on what type of pipe reamer is better for a novice "restorer" ? ( A multi-piece set or an adjustable reamer) I'd like to remove most, if not all of the cake while not going into the briar.
I’ve read a ton on all sorts of topics, and this site has been wonderful on providing helpful and interesting information. Thank you all.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Find a Pip-Net reamer if you can, if not, you can currently buy a copy of the Pip-Net called a Decatur ream all on Pipes and Cigars.com for $14.99.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Find a Pip-Net reamer if you can, if not, you can currently buy a copy of the Pip-Net called a Decatur ream all on Pipes and Cigars.com for $14.99.
I picked up one of these earlier this year and it works great.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Start with the Pip-Net! Don't cheap out on the knockoffs. One way or the other you are going to buy a Pip-Net eventually, so just save the waste on the knockoff and go right for the gold. Also, use a Q-tip to mop a bit of olive oil on the cake before reaming. Let the oil soak in for a good 10-15 minutes, and the reaming will go much easier and with less risk of damage to the briar.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks buroak,always learnin something new, but still I have only these two staineless so called Senior reamer and british buttner though I'aint smoking too heavy 3-4 bowlfuls per day using various pipes, looking further to buy Pip-Net kit later on

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
You really only need a Senior or Pip-Net reamer for heavy duty reaming as I was doing when refurbishing pipes. For everyday use a British Buttner reamer will easily suffice.
Not being a cake builder I tend to ream my pipes after every 12 - 15 or so smokes which keeps the cake in check.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.