PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Can anyone suggest a pipe reamer? I recently bought 3 pipes from a antique store (thread to come later) and need some recommendations. Also some general tips for cleaning up well smoked pipes.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have a Senior Reamer also, but I've never had to use it on anything other than restorations. Just be careful whatever reamer you use, you can damage the pipe.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Pipnet is sturdier than Castleford, at least the handle, but either would do fine for the casual user. The Senior is a fine tool but they are made by different Chinese shops so the quality varies, inspect before buying if possible. It also takes a bit more patience and a steadier hand to use than the others.
As for the bowl and stem, clean the airways with alcohol and bristle pipe cleaners. Remove the stem oxidation with either Oxyclean bath, Magic Eraser scrub, or a buffer. Clean the outside of the bowl with a rag and perhaps a bit of water. Each pipe is different, but go easy on the alcohol in the bowl.

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
I swear by the Savinelli fitsall. I have a Senior reamer, a Castleford and a Butner. But if I was to own only one, it would be the Savinelli.

You can really screw up a pipe with the others, but the fits-all is pipe friendly.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
One thing about the cleaning the stem with alcohol. Do it before you try to deoxidize the stem, or if you do it after put some obsidian oil on it before hand and leave it there while you clean. Otherwise getting alcohol on the stem may cause it to discolor and you have to start over again.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have the Senior Reamer (bought used, not abused and cheap on eBay) and the Castleford set. I use both on restorations, and the Castleford occasionally on pipes that I smoke. In fact I just used the Senior on a pipe that I bought that had so much buildup that you couldn't fill it. My pinky just about fit in the bowl, but not all the way to the bottom. The Senior was good for this since I could keep adjusting the cutting blades out a little bit, taking off just a thin layer at a time. I still had to go easy, not much pressure, and I kept checking my work to be sure that I hadn't hit wood.

The Casleford is good for routine maintenance. it's much smaller than the Senior (Or Kleen-Reem, which is very similar)and a couple of light twists gets the baccy bits out without stripping out too much cake.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have the Castleford, and have had great luck with it. Just got done reaming 7 pipes which I bought in a lot off EBay. They had A LOT of cake, and the Castleford cut right through it.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
I have the Castleford and love it. Just be easy and don't get into the wood cause the tool is pretty sharp!

wolf666

Lurker
Jun 22, 2013
Ive had a senior reamer for a few years and wouldn't use anything else just be carefull when using

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
I am voting for the Castleford! That's after many mistakes and scratched chambers, so sorry....

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I am voting for the Castleford! That's after many mistakes and scratched chambers, so sorry....
In the absence of a Pipnet Reamer, I agree entirely. I have used a Castleford set for all my resto work, and so long as one starts with the small bit and works carefully, gradually, through the cake and up to larger sizes catastrophe can be avoided. I usually get to less than a dimes width of cake and then either stop, or tackle the remaining cake with sandpaper on a piece of dowel.
The only reason I'd suggest a Pipnet Reamer set, is that those I've seen have a better/more-durable handle to bit connection.
-- Pat

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Pruss,
from my understanding both Pipnet and Castleford are the same (at least they look similar). Am I wrong?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@Roth - That's why I said, "In the absence of a Pipnet Reamer, I agree entirely." :wink:
@Vlodko, as far as I can tell, the Pipnet Reamer is of a sturdier material which, over time and use, will not wear down like the Castleford reamer does. The problem area for the Castleford reamer IMHO is that the base of the T handle wears down at the corners and effectively becomes stripped, meaning misalignment with the reamer heads/bits and slipping.
I use a Castleford because I did not have access to a Pipnet reamer when I was making my purchase. I prefer the Castleford to a Klean Ream or Senior Reamer, but will scour the web to find a Pipnet reamer for my next purchase.
Here is a great essay on some of the leading reamers. From Steve Laug's Reborn Pipes Blog: http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/my-choices-in-pipe-reamers-a-review-6/
I hope that helps.
-- Pat

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Thank you for all the recommendations. Ended up going for the Castlefor off of 4noggins as the Pipenet one was a little more than I wanted to spend.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
The Castleford should do you fine. I have used them on hundreds of pipes. Had to replace once as the bottom of the handle broke. If you are reaming many pipes for restoration, the one I would avoid is the Senior Reamer. Using it a lot at the one time will strip as much skin off your hand as it will cake from the bowl :) Blisters and callouses to prove it!

Status
Not open for further replies.