PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
piperack1001-1.jpg

Just finished this and it was a learning experience.

The stem holes are to small ( can't measure ). From bottom of where pipe bowls rest to top

is not height enough-3/8 inch ( same problem). Should have deepened the bowls resting area.

Wrong tool. Had right tool but wanted to use my carving gouges. Last, don't use treated pine.

It was free thou.

This is for out side use in the screen in porch.

Joe

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Looks good to Me. On the one I made I put on some thin cork for the bowls to rest on and keep from sliding, it worked good.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Looks nice. Over my years in woodworking I have found the first piece to be the learning practice piece anyway. I always write all over my note book and plans as I build the first piece. My daughter has several 'practice' pieces of furniture and jewelry boxes I have made as I refine the peice. Most get recycled, or become storage boxes in my shop. Good job.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Would any of you gents know where one could obtain plans for pipe racks? I am a novice, and prefer to work off a plan.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
You might want to try to open the holes on the top for ease of use. Nice job though,i like the dark stain.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Go to Google, and enter search words "popular mechanics pipe rack" There are several past issues that had some nice pipe rack and humidor plans.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks guys.

I will redo stem holes,just need to buy a drill bit.

The second one that goes into the house has to wait for the

bit also. 50 bits and not the right one.

So back to the pipe I am carving and sanding on. Again

it started out to be one design now its turning into an old

style train lantern image. Received that trait from my grandad.

Joe

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a fine job and the pine will probably work well out on the patio, where it may be humid/damp. I find holes on top to be a bit of a pain and cut them into u-shapes for my racks. Most of my larger bent shapes just don't work well with holes.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Nicely done! I wish my first attempt turned out so well, lol.
The too tight stem holes might be a blessing if it's a porch-piece. If you get winds like we do here you'll be thankful for the snug hold keeping your pipes from blowing over and falling to the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.