PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
Here is a blast from the past and I am hoping someone here might know the answer. Many years ago, during the mid 70's there was B&M in Burlington, Vermont called the Pipe Rack. It was a great little shop. I bought my first pipe there and greatly enjoyed a blend they sold called "Mountain Breeze". It was a Cavendish Latakia blend that I would really love to find again. I have been unable to duplicate it since then. I suspect it was about three parts Cavendish to one part Latakia. I have even tried to blend it myself to no avail. If anyone is familiar with this blend, please help out. I actually think the owner may have been the spouse (present or former) of the owner at "other" tobacco shop in Vermont, not Rich's. As I recall, the blend was similar to the present day, Blue Mountain blend.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I believe it was run by Elliott Nachwalter, ex-husband of Carole Burns who now runs Pipeworks & Wilke. Dave/dmcmtk would know as I think he's the one that told me that. Could it be similar to one of the Pipeworks and Wilke blends? I don't know if it's the same thing, but Pipemaker's Choice is a blend of VAs, cavendish (golden and black?) and a little bit of Latakia, with no orientals. In any case, it's a very smooth, mellow, lightly aromatic blend for those who like Latakia. The absence of orientals makes it extra mellow, I think -- no zingy, sharp high notes.

Jan 8, 2013
If it's similar to Blue Mountain, now called Balkan Blue, then it probably didn't have cavendish in it. I think mixtures containing cavendish and latakia would be considered an American english (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if that helps narrow things down for you.

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
Keep me coming. I seem to recall asking Carol a few years back who supposedly asked Elliot who could not recall the blend. I even remember that the blend was in a large glass enclosed canister and was color coded with blue lettering to signify a medium blend- not too strong, not too weak. I am determined to try to recreate this so any continued help is appreciated.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
You've got me. I lived in Burlington 1984-95. I was a regular customer at The Pipe Rack, Woody was the name of the gentleman who was running it at that time. It closed about 1990 or so, and Woody told me to order tobacco from Erlich in Boston. If the tobacco you are talking about was from the 1970's, Elliott or Carole would be the persons to ask. When you say it was like Blue Mountain, I assume you mean the McClelland tobacco? Have you tried any of the P&W tobaccos? Anything close? Back in those days, I would imagine there was a much greater ability to source tobaccos, and Syrian Latakia was also available. Might be very hard to re-create. Have you smoked Black House?

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
I actually sent an email to Elliot and he replied that he did not recall what the blend was. I have smoke Black House and prefer what was recently called Blue Mountain. Unfortunately, that does not get me any closer to the actual Mountain Breeze blend I was hoping to find. As for the Pipe Rack, the blend I am looking for was sold by the Pipe Rack when it was on a street in Burlington called N. Winooski Ave. I know it was there in the summer of 1972 and remained there until it moved more to the center of town.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
From P&W site. This has VA as well but may be close:
WILKE BESTMAKE

One of the oldest Wilke recipes.

Virginia and Burleys are mixed with a non-aromatic Black Cavendish tobacco and topped with a generous amount of superior Latakia creating a traditional medium strength English blend. A rich mellow blend in the true British tradition.
You could probably also call Rich at 4noggins and explain the blend. He may be able to create it for you.
Just my .02

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
Thanks all for the help. Still holding out a faint hope that I might find someone who knew of the blend then or knows of it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.