PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
These are some of my favorite quotes from figures in the past regarding the smoking of the pipe. Feel free to add others...
“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”

-A. A. Milne
"On land, on sea, at home abroad

I smoke my pipe and worship God."

-Johann Sebastian Bach
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis
“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”

-Indian Proverb
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”

-Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”

-Albert Einstein, 1950

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” -Albert Einstein, 1950
“The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.” -”Sam Slick, the clockmaker”
“The pipe marks the point at which the orangutan ends and man begins.” -Ben Jonson

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Never heard some of those... very cool!! Love the one that says " On land, On Sea, at home abroad, I smoke my pipe and worship God"

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
Robert W. Service

:puffy:

Jan 22, 2013
The Prophet was taking a stroll in the country when he saw a serpent, stiff with cold, lying on the ground. He compassionately took it up and warmed it in his bosom. When the serpent hand recovered, it said,..."By Allah I shall bite thee!"

"If thou hast sworn by Allah, I will not cause thee to break thy vow," said the Prophet, holding his hand to the serpent's mouth. The serpent bit him, but he sucked the wound with his lips and spat the venom on the ground. And on that very spot there sprung up a plant which combines within itself the venom of the serpent and the compassion of the Prophet. Men call this plant by the name of tobacco.

-Conte Arabe

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
hB8A744E9

vikingz

Lurker
Nov 2, 2013
A hollow stick at the end of a hollowed out block of briar, the pipe is a propitious prop for those oft’ time solitudinous sessions of solemn wonder.

- Paul Anthony Belfiglio

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
”Life is meant to be enjoyed. A good woman, a good pipe, and a good whiskey. Three things that, in moderation, will help achieve this.”

-Basil Meadows

Status
Not open for further replies.