PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyrcon

Lurker
Jan 17, 2013
First off, I'd like to say "Hi". I'm new to the forum and recently new to pipe smoking. I LOVE my new hobby! As with most new hobbies, I get really passionate and always seem to have a sense of urgencency. I need to try, taste, read, learn, buy and understand everything NOW! So many tobaccos, pipes, tools and toys... Oh my! As you can imagine, this is impossible. I'm starting to learn that pipe smoking is both simple and complex. At first, I spent to much time on the complexities and got overwhelmed. Then, it was like the pipe Gods spoke to me. "Chill Grasshopper, Chill. You can't smoke it all and learn it all today. Keep it simple stupid." So, for a while now, I've been smoking just a few flakes (SG FVF, Silver Flake, Dunhill VA Flake) and am learning to "sip" my pipe rather than "SMOKE" my pipe. I must say, I'm a happy man. While I love these flakes, I'd like to start to expand my palette. Any suggestiions? Any wisdom?

Thanks in advance for letting me purge.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums, zyrcon. :clap: It looks like you're already enjoying top of the line blends.
The G L Pease & McClelland product lines have an amazing range of blend types. Try whatever strikes your fancy.

Also, you might consider sampler packages from PipesAndCigars.com.
One interesting approach is to sample from each of the several tobacco blend genres.

Go to LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com. In the left hand column blends are organized by category (genre).

ScreenShotLTR.jpg

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
welcome to the forums
I'm starting to learn that pipe smoking is both simple and complex.

True true so many pipes and material and shapes and baccy's. But in the end it's stuff, burn, breath, repeat steps as necessary. I was just explaining to my girl that's what draws me to pipe smoking, I don't have to over think it but can travel down the bunny hole of complex permutations of this pipe plus this tobacco, using this ignition and this tamper,while drinking this beverage,after eating this meal...basically anytime I feel driving myself up a wall with too much thinking.

Wisdom wise...It's been said many times on here whenever a new smoker asks, find yourself a good B&M, get to know the proprietor, try some bulk blends and get some suggestion in there. If not many of our sponsors have sampler packs, 1 or 2 oz of a coupla different tobaccos sold at a decently affordable price.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Welcome to what becomes more than a hobby quickly ;)
You’ve started down the VA line first, which is awesome! Getting a palate developed from a tobacco blend that's not heavy flavored. Thankfully this is the golden age of pipe tobacco and you can explore so many avenues, and the journey is forever. Pipes and tobacco, though joined at the hip can be two different lines of the journey. One thing I think all would agree on, when jumping into different “types” of tobaccos. Make the small investment in some $15 pipes to try new blends. The term “ghosting” means that strong after tastes can be temporarily or even permanently embedded in the pipe. If you’ve got a nice VA pipe going, don’t throw in a Latkia type tobacco, and then expect your next bowl of VA, not ruined but a totally different flavor. Keeping a pipe for each type, if even for each blend is solid beginner advice.
This could go one forever, but there's some additional advice.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
+1 Dragonslayer. At the very least smoke only Virginia tobaccos from one pipe, English in another, and aromatics in others. Never combine straight Virginia tobaccos with other kinds as they tend to be ghosted out very easily.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Penzance.... mmmmmm

3 Oaks Syrian..... mmmmm

Nightcap..... mmmmmm

Sqaudron Leader..... mmmmmm

Sunset Breeze...... mmmmm

Savinelli Black Cavendish..... mmmmm

Eileens Dream...... mmmmmm

Escudo...... mmmmm

McClellands #27...... mmmmmm

Benjamin Heartwell Signature...... mmmmm

All the Frog Mortons........ yummy

Orlik Golden Sliced....... also yummy
The list never ends my friend. Pipe tobaccos are like women. As soon as you think you have seen the most beautiful specimen another walks in front of you.... then you go back to your old standby.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forum. You are off to a great start with those few blends you mentioned as all of them are part of my rotation. I would suggest trying the following blends.
Vapers
Escudo

SG St James Flake

Solani 633

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls

GL Pease Haddo's Delight
VA/Kentucky/Burley
GL Pease Navigator

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Wessex Burley Slice

Peterson Irish Flake and Perfect Plug
Aromatic Flakes

Erinmore Flake

Peterson University Flake

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
I LOVE my new hobby! As with most new hobbies, I get really passionate and always seem to have a sense of urgencency. I need to try, taste, read, learn, buy and understand everything NOW! So many tobaccos, pipes, tools and toys... Oh my! As you can imagine, this is impossible. I'm starting to learn that pipe smoking is both simple and complex. At first, I spent to much time on the complexities and got overwhelmed. Then, it was like the pipe Gods spoke to me. "Chill Grasshopper, Chill. You can't smoke it all and learn it all today.
+1000 on this Zycron! You explained my sentiments perfectly! This is exactly what I felt upon re entering the pipe smoking hobby after a 10 year hiatus. I wanted to do everything right now and do it right. So I as well went off bought a bunch of different blends and various pipe rests and tampers and got way too excited. Then I started to just slow down and enjoy what I had. Some of the tobacco tins I bought over Christmas have remained unopened since I wanted to give what I already had cracked open a good try. And I have been the better man for it.
I found that these forums have been invaluable. And the best advice I got about tobacco blends were to try each different "genre" and use that as a starting point to find what your individual tases prefer. So with that advice I tried the following with various stages of personal success.
Aromatics

1Q and Captain Black White ( loved these both, smooth and great room note, although the sweet smell makes my wife a little " sick"' but I LOVE the smell!)
Virginia Blend

Hearth and Home " Black House" ( this is growing on me)
Perique Blend

Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique ( haven't liked this one so far but will give it it's fair shake, maybe Perique is not for me)
English Blends

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe ( I " like" this one but still working on it.. It has a nice Latakia amount.)

Dunhill My Mixture 965 ( I am enjoying this as well maybe a little more than the "Early morning pipe")
Burley Blend

Granger ( This one so far is my favorite, nice tasty and not too smoky. I know it's a main stream tobacco but hey.. I like it.)
Latakia Blend

I have McClelland Frog Morton ( still have to crack this one open but it was highly recommended)
There is so much out there but as ones before have noted, try different genres and you will be amazed. I would also take the time, again as ones on this forum have suggested, to read up on the ingredients of these different blends. And what they add to a tobacco blend. Reading up on what a Perique, Latikia, Virginia, Burley, and Cavendish actually are and how they are made will go a long way in your appreciation of each type of tobacco and what they are supposed to add in regards to flavor.
Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, I'm so pleased to hear pipeastronomer recommend Granger, that good old burley. My father smoked a pipe from about age 12 until he

was 65 and quit cold turkey because of his new workplace (he ran a computer lab at a community college). About two years ago, my local

independent pipe shop had a can of Granger available by the ounce, and the owner let me try a bowl. Sure enough, Pappy was right. The

owner, father of a grown son, had a good laugh about that. Dad smoked only Granger, for forty years. I have about 20 tobaccos on hand,

in small quantities, but what's left of a can of Granger (14 oz.) on the shelf. It's a golden oldie. It's an aromatic because of the dressing, I

suppose, but is mostly Kentucky burley, pretty plain, and tasty.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Welcome to the forum, Zycron! :)
"I get really passionate and always seem to have a sense of urgencency."
Boy, can I ever identify with that! In my many years of puffing, I've learned, as you are now, to slow down, relax, sip and enjoy it.

What's left of my 'sense of urgency' is now limited to PAD, which is something you may never get over. But fear not - it's also a very enjoyable part of the pipe experience. :puffy:

pipeastronomer

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2012
Boston MA/ Bethlehem NH
Mso489...
It's funny that you say that about Granger. I never heard of it nor smelled it until I got the tin just after Christmas. My great grandfather was a Captian Black white smoker so that one brings back memories for me.
As for why I tried the Granger... Well I bought on eBay a beautiful antique Granger humidor tin to have as a decoration in the " smoking area" and figured.... Well I suppose I should at least try this blend to see if it was any good since it seemed to be an Ol time favorite. So I went online and sure enough it was still being made. I quickly ordered up a can and needless to say I am very pleased that I like it.
So now I can display my Ol fashioned Granger can with pride that not only do I like that antique... I also love the tobacco. Makes it more genuine!
Just goes to show you... You never know! Glad there are others out there who like it!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Learning to sip your pipe was the smartest thing you could have done. And you couldn't have picked better tobaccos to focus on. I'd say try whatever catches your interest. Lots of great suggestions in this thread. Get involved in the boxpass as soon as possible and have no fear if you try something you don't like...someone here will want it in trade for something else new to try.

Aug 14, 2012
I am very pleased to hear that pipesmoking has become a hobby. It used to be considered a "filthy habit."

Status
Not open for further replies.