PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey

Lurker
Dec 16, 2013
Hey guys,

I bought a churchwarden. It's all one piece not the kind that have a detachable stem. And

After about my 5 or 6 time smoking it, it started to make a whistling noise everytime I hit it.

So in order to smoke the pipe I have to hit it extremly soft and my cherry usually goes out.

I'm trying everything and I can't seem to find why this is happening . I clean my pipe thoroughly after

Each use and I give it days rest in between

Please help me with some advice and experience

Thanks everyone !

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi Mickey,
Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to hear about the troubles with your churchwarden. Do you have some churchwarden length pipe-cleaners? If not, I'd highly recommend them. The whistling might be a function of having something lodged in the stem.
Also, it isn't unusual for a pipe to need to be re-lit now and again. Now, most of us take small and gentle sips from our pipes. We don't hit them hard, nor do we need to in order to keep the ember (cherry) burning. A well packed pipe, of suitably dry(ish) tobacco, after a good charring light, relight(s) and good tamping should keep you in smokey bliss for a while.
If you haven't yet, take a peruse of the linked threads for new pipe smokers highlighted on the landing page for the forums. You'll get a good handle on packing, lighting and tamping from there.
Good luck!
-- Pat
PS - I just realized, on a re-read of my post, that I totally assumed you were new to pipe smoking, if you aren't and all the stuff I just said is "old hat" to you, ignore me. :D

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
If it did not whistle before... Is there something stuck in there? I guess it's hard to tell since the stem is not removable. It could be some buildup around the draft hole.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Is it made of glass? Just asking, people that smoke pipe tobacco don't usually use terms like "hit it." A picture of the pipe might help, no disrespect intended, just trying to get to the root of the problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've not seen many pipes that do not have a separate detachable stem. What sort of pipe is this, clay?

You might want to get a regular corn cob pipe from Missouri Meerschaum or Old Dominion and see how

that smokes. Or if you like churchwardens, you can get one at a very reasonable price from Iwan Ries,

the Ewa pipes they carry. Meantime, try the churchwarden pipe cleaners. Welcome to Forums.

+1 on the long pipe cleaners. I've not ever seen one without a detachable stem, but I don't doubt it. It would just seem that to be a briar of the magnitude to be carved into a churchwarden would be a very expensive piece of wood. If it is clay, there are a bunch of cheapo clay pipes found on amazon. I have one that had a crevasse in the clay, where it had probably split in firing down inside the shaft. I think of most of those clay pipes as PSO's (pipe shaped objects).
Try the pipe cleaners, or run a coat hanger down it. If that doesn't clear it... maybe, get another one. But, I would love to see a picture, if you have the capacity to do that. Or, at least a little more info might help us throw a hundred more ideas at you :D

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sounds like your airway is getting clogged. Your best bet is to buy some churchwarden length pipe cleaners and use them between bowls to clear out the stem. If your local tobacconist doesn't stock them, he can order them for you, or you can go online to order them for yourself. I've seen cleaners up to 14" in length.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
If gray & sable are correct I have an idea. :laughat: Put on your safety glasses, turn the air compressor up to 135 psi, get a good grip on the warden, and nuke it in the stem !!!! Just kidding :)

Status
Not open for further replies.