PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
Hi there, long time reader of these forums. First time posting.

I have a bit of a problem and I'm hoping to get a tip or two from some of the more experienced pipers out there.

I just finished a tasty bowl of Black woods flake (a favorite of mine) but I was thoroughly fustrated with what (at least to me) seemed like excessive relighting. So in an effort to best describe the issue, I offer the following information.

1. Preparation consisted of fully rubbing out the tasty broken flake to a consistency of ribbon cut. I allowed this to rest, spread out on a sheet of printer paper for roughly an hour. Upon checking it I found that an aggressive "three finger squeeze" yielded a tight wad of tobacco that "sprung" back to its old ribbons without delay. I judged the moisture contend to be excellent and moved on.

2. I packed the bowl (which is about a 3/4 inch diameter and about 1 1/4 inch tall) by gravity filling (tapping the side to settle) until full. Tamping until half filled. Gravity feed in the same manner until full. Tamping to about 3/4 full. Then finally gravity feeding until the bowl had a mound of about 1/4 of tobacco protruding which I then tamped until just below the rim. I then added the fine crumbly bits from the rubbing affair on top (say about the same volume of a common pea spread out) and checked the draw. I judged that the draw was slightly more resistant then when the pipe was empty. I found it in the another sense to be fairly effortless as well.

3. I performed 2 charring lights and then a true light. The charring lights mearly teased the tobacco's surface. The true light was notably deeper but (as I judged it) appropriately restrainted.

Tamping that is best described as a nickel's weight of force was performed between each of these lights. The true light produced a healthy and complete red disk with no darkness to be found within.

4. I smoked the bowl slowly. A "puff" was an attempt to draw slowly enough that the smoke was never being moved but more-so poured toward my mouth. I attempted to draw "sweetly" as if detection of suction might startle the pipe. The frequency of puffs was --Puff-- row row row your boat. Gently down the stream. Merrily merrily merrily merrily. Life is but a dream. --Puff--

All puffs were singular and depth varied from a half to a full "One Mississippi".

Tamping was done. Hard to say at what frequency but the pressure was light and uniform. Light enough to cause no more movement in the ash then what was barely preceptible.
I managed to smoke about 1/2 of the bowl in this manner with fairly good flavor in the process. The whole affair consumed 1 hour and 22 minutes (thanks to having been watching a recorded movie at the time I was able to assertain the precise time.) I did not clench the pipe at all.
It took 10 relights in total and the fustrastion of relighting caused me to end the smoke.
Any tips or suggestions to reduce my relights without puffing like an old steam locomotive?

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Agreed w/ aldecaker.
McC blends need excessive drying. Then they're wonderful.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Blackwoods is on my current rotation shelf. I find Blackwoods to be a little harder to keep lit than the average blends I tend to smoke more of and does go out easily. Probably why I don't return to it as often. Its been on the open tin shelf for longer than any other. McClelland flakes all seem to be this way maybe as I think on them. I do remember a McClelland 2020 Matured Flake that had gotten lost in a drawer therefore aged for several months did become much more sweet and mellow and maybe less on the relights too.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It took 10 relights in total and the fustrastion of relighting caused me to end the smoke.
It's not about smoking without relights, don't worry about it, relax, enjoy yourself. A little drying time as mentioned may help. But worrying about timing, cadence etc. does not sound enjoyable to me.
keep-calm-and-stop-over-thinking-3-514x600.png

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Sounds to me like you are trying way too hard. Just load, light and enjoy. You'll refine your technique as you smoke. There is no perfect loading method, puffing rate or anything like that. The pipe is a personal thing, think of it as such and do what works. You can get all sorts of conflicting advice here. Do what works, make it your style and remember that every bowl is not gonna be perfect. Relax and enjoy! It's not a competition.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
Thanks :) I'll try going for an even more dry tobacco before packing.

For the folks with the "relax" advice...I can assure you that what appears to be a scientific approach is merely an attempt to accurately describe the process. Bearing that in mind, I can assure you that I am an impatient, chronic overachiever and your advice to "relax" is well given. :)

I will endevour to dry my tobacco more AND relax. Thanks again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What Warren said, and don't take notes! :)
I'm in the "needs less moisture" camp. Where you live, the humidity in the house, starting moisture content of the tobacco, means that an hour drying time could be too short, other times too long, or just right!
But don't worry, be happy!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Agree with all of the above. Different tobaccos require different prep. Experience and practice will provide answers. One other thought, don't puff, sip, like sipping a drink. Puff to get the bowl going. Sip slowly to get the flavor, and exhale through your nose. Don't worry about relights. Smoking a pipe is not supposed to be a stunt. If it goes out, just relight and enjoy.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Don't forget the tapper, tapping is necessary in order to keep the tobacco lit, I agree also in letting the tobacco get enough dry time. Good Luck.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
I had a very moist McClelland flake that I couldn't keep lit worth a damn. Even after drying it out for over an hour. I firmly believe moisture is the nail in the casket. A well broken in pipe can only help so much. If I remember correctly I cube cut the 2015 VaPer and rubbed that out to dry. Worked better than just rubbing, but upon removing some ash with my pipe tool after it had gone out, it was a bit soggy underneath. Removing that ash did help the relighting process for what it's worth.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Some tobacco for whatever reasons can be very wet. Generally it has been an aromatic like Molto Dolce when I have experienced it being really soppy wet. But whatever it is there is a way to dry it out. This is a time worn subject here, so I am not getting into it again.
Welcome aboard, Lonefrog615. You can go to P&C's blending page and read about the burn rate of different blend tobacco leaf. This will help you to understand what blend percentages will work like.
Everybody has explained about the rest of it above, so I will just ad that you will get tongue bite from puffing (like Brush said)

...... as a newly dedicated "Brother of the Pipe", you have been granted automatic immunity to prevent the "Relight Fairy" giving you butt rash for too many relights. Relax,Frog, and strike another match. :lol:

mvmadore

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2015
Northern NY
Perhaps use less tobacco in the pipe, half full?, until you determine the best, for you, method to enjoy the smoke.

I am relatively new to the hobby and have used this method until I learned a bit how the different tobaccos respond...dry/moist, how packed, etc. It seems, to this novice, that tobacco's respond differently and it takes practice, some knowledge and time to learn.
I also agree...relax and enjoy the moment...don't overthink and especially don't get crazy over "getting it right"...that takes time.

Status
Not open for further replies.