Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe prices after a tobacco ban

(57 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by mycroftholmes
  • Latest reply from 3rdguy
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mycroftholmes

Login to Send PM

What do you think would happen to pipe prices if there was a ban on tobacco?

Posted 7 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, if you can't use the things, they would probably be worth about as much as a pager or 8-track player.

Michael
    Posted 7 months ago #
  3. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If that were to somehow completely happen, the answer is rather obvious. Who would bother buying guns if they couldn't buy ammo?

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're referring to a tobacco ban in the USA, we are only about 5% of the world's population...so it's hard to say how much effect that would have on pipe prices.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 7 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

...as a non-US resident (who travels to the US regularly) I can tell you that the US has most relaxed tobacco laws in the first world.
    If and when bans actually come into force around the world, the US will be last advanced country to jump on the bandwagon.
    The US is currently about 20 years behind other countries in tobacco legislation, regulation and attitude.

Posted 7 months ago #
  6. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee, what a lovely thing to ponder as I get ready to have another weekend of eBay pipe and website pipe tobacco sales in order to keep me and my family fed.

Sheesh, why did I open this thread?

But wait a minute... I could start selling rare old soda pop bottles! I saw where there is a market for those on eBay. And my name change would be easy enough. I'd call myself "Popstud."

Pipestud
    Posted 7 months ago #
  7. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If the U.S. banned tobacco sales outright, people would still buy pipes, they would just put “something else” in them!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  8. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the better question is what will happen given increasing regulation, which is already here;l in which case 2021 deeming will supply the most data, as tobacco companies go out of business.

Popstud

I like it!

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The US is currently about 20 years behind other countries in tobacco legislation, regulation and attitude.

If that's an accurate statement, it's pretty depressing, considering how bad it already is here in the US.

Popstud

The perfect name for a hardcore ABBA fan.

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Forums crew would retreat to their cellars and buy few unattainable pipes at attainable prices, and grow or "find" tobacco. Otherwise, no market for pipes at all.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As long as politicians smoke cigars, some form of pipe tobacco industry will survive. Now as far as taxes and prices, that is the real unknown.

Pipes will always have a market so long as guys like us continue to build cellars for the dark days.

Harris
    Posted 7 months ago #
  12. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

An economist would say that pipes and tobacco are complements, but not perfect complements. In the case of a tobacco ban, pipe prices would dwindle, but would never reach zero.

Another question is if the OP means a ban on buying and selling tobacco, or a ban on smoking it. If smoking is outlawed, I don't think I like it enough to risk a conviction. If buying and selling is outlawed, I've got enough to last me about 20 years at 2 bowls a week, so I'd be happy to keep buying pipes.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 7 months ago #
  13. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think there is a portion of pipers that purchase pipes solely on their aesthetics. I don't think pipe sales would dry out altogether.

Yes, people would find something else to smoke in them.

Posted 7 months ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No problem. If smoking is banned, I'll just enjoy it even more.

Or start a collection of pop bottles.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  15. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't care at all. I have a cellar that will outlive me and plenty of pipes. No speculation, because I don't care. Pretty selfish huh?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 7 months ago #
  16. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

It amazes me that there are so many uptight I must tell you how to live your life people, that want to ban tobacco but legalize marijuana... Go do what you like, and leave everyone else alone!!!

Posted 7 months ago #
  17. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As Ashdigger said: "I don't care at all. I have a cellar that will outlive me and plenty of pipes. No speculation, because I don't care"

Exactly why I developed a good cellar...and now I don't care. Just like Ashdigger.

Maybe, you should do the same...

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I think estate prices have already dropped due to all the tobacco concessions.

I'm thinking about switching to Longaberger baskets.

Al

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

If that's an accurate statement, it's pretty depressing, considering how bad it already is here in the US.

When I was in the US last month, there were jars and tins of tobacco on open display, and people smoking, enjoying the atmosphere...and prices were dirt cheap (compared to what I'm used to...)

Reminded me of how things used to be here in the mid 90's.

And I think Pipestud's business will prosper more so the worse things get! He'll be the man with the good stuff!

Posted 7 months ago #
  20. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The possibilities are endless really. Become a dog breeder? pupstud, sell vintage China? cupstud, what about an online blog where you complain? gripestud.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Get into the baby supplies market: Wipestud

Get into the butcher business: Tripestud

Become a gynecologist: Papstud

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Get into the baby supplies market: Wipestud

Get into the butcher business: Tripestud

Become a gynecologist: Papstud

The possibilities are endless really. Become a dog breeder? pupstud, sell vintage China? cupstud, what about an online blog where you complain? gripestud.

Great ideas, Hap & mikethompson!

Pipestud

Posted 7 months ago #
  23. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I am with the cellar guys. I am concentrating on my cellar so I don't have to worry about it. I will, if I don't already, have enough tobacco to last the rest of my life. Hopefully pipes will be around a long time but I do have a fair share of pipes already. Looking forward to the day when I can just cruise and not worry about spending any more money.

Nate
    Posted 7 months ago #
  24. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Instead of stopping boat loads of marijuana, the U.S. Coast Guard will be stopping boat loads of tobacco being smuggled in from Central America and Cuba. The Mexican drug cartels will start growing and selling tobacco. All the good briar pipes will be marketed as marijuana pipes.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  25. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Instead of stopping boat loads of marijuana, the U.S. Coast Guard will be stopping boat loads of tobacco being smuggled in from Central America and Cuba. The Mexican drug cartels will start growing and selling tobacco. All the good briar pipes will be marketed as marijuana pipes.

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not so log ago our Government come up with new announcement Finland is planned to become as like smoke free country in 2025 and ours healthcare department will do all necessary that this will come true,nontheless when Customs and border protection department were asked their opinion,their answer to this bill were rather cynical.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 7 months ago #
  27. philairfoil

philairfoil

Login to Send PM

PLEASE! Do not discuss politics on this forum. You may be outlawed.

Posted 7 months ago #
  28. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I don't see any chance of a ban. A ban on tobacco would do just about as well as the ban on alcohol did. The current campaign of death by a thousand cuts do doing just fine.

But in the extremely unlikely event that such a ban got enacted, the market for artisan pipes here would take quite a hit. So carvers would focus on other markets, or produce pipes for smoking "other" substances, or change careers. Prices would go through a wobble, and probably drop, with estate prices taking the biggest hit.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 7 months ago #
  29. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do you want a hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question?

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Three words...

War on Drugs...

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drifter, I'm with you & Jesse.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  32. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Sables Comment!

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 7 months ago #
  33. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

‘What would be the value of pipes & tobacco stashes if thermonuclear WW3 started ?”

Some people just like to worry about things over which they have no control.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 7 months ago #
  34. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

IMO there’s no current movement to ban tobacco. There does seem to be an effort to use costly regulations to drive smaller competitors out of business, though. Such tactics have been used in many industries. There will be ‘safer, tested’ products at higher prices in the future after the little players are gone, I suspect. The vaping industry is just too attractive a market to ignore. Pipe tobacco is just collateral damage; vaping dollars are the target.

Posted 7 months ago #
  35. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

Proclaim yourself the voice of god, move to the Vatican and wear a funny hat: Popestud

Posted 7 months ago #
  36. 9mmpuffer

9mmpuffer

Login to Send PM

I believe high grade pipes will still rise, they are art. There may not be a big demand for regular smokers and they make drop.
    I personally don't believe tobacco ever gets banned.

Posted 7 months ago #
  37. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't see any chance of a ban. A ban on tobacco would do just about as well as the ban on alcohol did. The current campaign of death by a thousand cuts do doing just fine.

I agree with this and will add that it won't be the government but your employer and or your insurance provider who will price you out or by having a no nicotine policy as a condition of employment.

Posted 7 months ago #
  38. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Proclaim yourself the voice of god, move to the Vatican and wear a funny hat: Popestud - georgebmcclelland

LOL! Well, I like your idea. I already wear a funny hat, so now to start working on the other two. (-:

Pipestud

Posted 7 months ago #
  39. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

A ban on tobacco would do just about as well as the ban on alcohol did.

That failed due to it being an immediate act. The antis have had decades and generations of non tobacco propaganda to influence the market.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 7 months ago #
  40. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The "pipe as art" market would be even smaller than the antique pipe market. But, we waste time worrying about what might be the future. My belief is, tobacco will always be available for those who can afford it. So, insuring the flow of future dollars should be the prime concern today.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  41. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember when I first got into the tobacco business back in the mid-70s there were rumblings that anti-smokers would kill the tobacco industry by 2010. Some are still working hard at it, but we're still here, albeit somewhat changed since then. It may come yet, but my gut thinks it won't be in my lifetime. Been wrong before, but that's my guess & I'm sticking with it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  42. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

it won't be the government but your employer and or your insurance provider who will price you out or by having a no nicotine policy as a condition of employment.

True. Going forward, "public health" issues and insurance costs will be the primary M.O. by which any number of controls, prohibitions and mandates will be justified and instituted.

That failed due to it being an immediate act. The antis have had decades and generations of non tobacco propaganda to influence the market.

Great point Embers. I would add that in those days it was actually still thought necessary to pass a Constitutional amendment in order to institute such laws/regulations. That perspective is mostly non-existent these days.

Posted 7 months ago #
  43. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"IMO there’s no current movement to ban tobacco."

Believe me, governments around the world are seriously working towards this.....all for our own good of course

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  44. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's sooooo comforting to know our gov. has our best interests in mind, at all times.

Posted 7 months ago #
  45. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cellaring, boys, cellaring. That's the answer to anyone's idea of a ban.
    Most of us have enough pipes to outfit a pipe club. So, pipes, check. Tobacco, checking.
    Keep that cellar alive and well, deep and wide, me mates.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 7 months ago #
  46. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Oh! Pipe+Stud. OK, I get it!

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 7 months ago #
  47. retreadpipeapprentice

retreadpipeapprentice

Login to Send PM

In short I think yes they would still sell pipes for looking at and collecting. And firms like Cornell and Diehl would start selling the largest collection of male focused potpourri! in little tins.

Posted 7 months ago #
  48. cajomu

cajomu

Login to Send PM

So far, there has been no effort to regulate the sale of unprocessed tobacco or the growing of tobacco for personal use. So, it is unlikely that the use of tobacco will disappear any time soon, although the quality of what people smoke may diminish as commercially available tobacco becomes prohibitively expensive and starts to disappears.

Posted 7 months ago #
  49. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ban on tobacco? You guys tried a ban on alcohol before ... that didn't go very well.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 7 months ago #
  50. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On second thought, a ban might be just what we need. Having the government and the church come out against anything seems to make things way more popular and profitable.

Posted 7 months ago #
  51. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic +1

Posted 7 months ago #
  52. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

Imagine walking into a head shop and seeing a big sign that says "For marijuana use only!" hanging over the bongs.

Posted 7 months ago #
  53. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Madox, the ban on alcohol went fantastic!! It was so successful I'm free to buy alcohol almost anywhere at anytime in NV. In lesser free states you have to go to a state liquor store. But it's still available. I can only hope the tobacco ban is as successful.

Posted 7 months ago #
  54. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Prohibition was tried with alcohol, and I think it illustrated the problem with banning widely used substances. Alcohol certain has all the dimensions of health hazard, safety hazard, and being socially corrosive, as the temperance movement so effectively pointed out. Prohibition just surfaced catastrophe in a variety of other forms. So I don't expect to see it tried again in that form.

Posted 7 months ago #
  55. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a big difference in the attitude of the general population to consider when making a comparison to "prohibition" and the possibility of a total ban on tobacco. Prohibition was thrust upon the country by a small minority of the citizens through simple zealotry and an impressive marshaling of that minority to pressure the elected representatives. The vast majority of the adult population imbibed to some degree. Prohibition was not acceptable to the population as a whole. The banning of tobacco? Look at the numbers. There are a few similarities but, congress won't go off "half-cocked" as it did with alcohol. Too much revenue, from top to bottom, from small local governments to the Feds, is involved.

I like to believe that the general populations' attitude to tobacco will be ... to see it as unacceptable in public but, perfectly acceptable in private, not withstanding the feelings of employers/insurers. Time will tell.

Posted 7 months ago #
  56. kiltedpiper

kiltedpiper

Login to Send PM

In short I think yes they would still sell pipes for looking at and collecting. And firms like Cornell and Diehl would start selling the largest collection of male focused potpourri! in little tins.

And suddenly, Potpourri would be consider manly, but only in very small pots that you carry around with you. Revolutionizing the market and all that.

On second thought, a ban might be just what we need. Having the government and the church come out against anything seems to make things way more popular and profitable.

Cosmic, I have to agree. I know I would make it a point to be more pointed in my smoking if the churches near me started complaining. But that's the whole 'uneducated heathen' portion of me. And the government is just giving me more and more reasons to move to the middle of nowhere and just say goodbye to society...(once i build a big enough tobacco cellar to last me)

Posted 7 months ago #
  57. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bengal Slices now at 14.40..

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/bengal-slices-pipe-tobacco/1500142/#p-195970

Posted 7 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, ray47, 3rdguy, georged, alaskanpiper, pepesdad1, olkofri, nhhiggy, tobacconut, ashdigger, hugodrax