PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
If you're referring to a tobacco ban in the USA, we are only about 5% of the world's population...so it's hard to say how much effect that would have on pipe prices.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
...as a non-US resident (who travels to the US regularly) I can tell you that the US has most relaxed tobacco laws in the first world.

If and when bans actually come into force around the world, the US will be last advanced country to jump on the bandwagon.

The US is currently about 20 years behind other countries in tobacco legislation, regulation and attitude.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Gee, what a lovely thing to ponder as I get ready to have another weekend of eBay pipe and website pipe tobacco sales in order to keep me and my family fed. :cry:
Sheesh, why did I open this thread? :|
:!: But wait a minute... I could start selling rare old soda pop bottles! I saw where there is a market for those on eBay. And my name change would be easy enough. I'd call myself "Popstud." :D

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think the better question is what will happen given increasing regulation, which is already here;l in which case 2021 deeming will supply the most data, as tobacco companies go out of business.
I like it!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The US is currently about 20 years behind other countries in tobacco legislation, regulation and attitude.
If that's an accurate statement, it's pretty depressing, considering how bad it already is here in the US.
The perfect name for a hardcore ABBA fan. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Forums crew would retreat to their cellars and buy few unattainable pipes at attainable prices, and grow or "find" tobacco. Otherwise, no market for pipes at all.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
As long as politicians smoke cigars, some form of pipe tobacco industry will survive. Now as far as taxes and prices, that is the real unknown.
Pipes will always have a market so long as guys like us continue to build cellars for the dark days.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
An economist would say that pipes and tobacco are complements, but not perfect complements. In the case of a tobacco ban, pipe prices would dwindle, but would never reach zero.
Another question is if the OP means a ban on buying and selling tobacco, or a ban on smoking it. If smoking is outlawed, I don't think I like it enough to risk a conviction. If buying and selling is outlawed, I've got enough to last me about 20 years at 2 bowls a week, so I'd be happy to keep buying pipes.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't care at all. I have a cellar that will outlive me and plenty of pipes. No speculation, because I don't care. Pretty selfish huh?

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
It amazes me that there are so many uptight I must tell you how to live your life people, that want to ban tobacco but legalize marijuana... Go do what you like, and leave everyone else alone!!!

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
As Ashdigger said: "I don't care at all. I have a cellar that will outlive me and plenty of pipes. No speculation, because I don't care"
Exactly why I developed a good cellar...and now I don't care. Just like Ashdigger.
Maybe, you should do the same...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think estate prices have already dropped due to all the tobacco concessions.
I'm thinking about switching to Longaberger baskets.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts

If that's an accurate statement, it's pretty depressing, considering how bad it already is here in the US.
When I was in the US last month, there were jars and tins of tobacco on open display, and people smoking, enjoying the atmosphere...and prices were dirt cheap (compared to what I'm used to...)
Reminded me of how things used to be here in the mid 90's.
And I think Pipestud's business will prosper more so the worse things get! He'll be the man with the good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.