PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I thought I would share what I was thinking about as I smoked my pipe today. I have not edited it so it is pretty law. Also, as a disclaimer I am a Christian and it comes out in the writings somewhat. I don't want to get into a religious debate as that is not the purpose of this forum but PM me any questions you may have or even comments about my religion and I will be happy to reply to them. Furthermore, I am not saying pipe forums are bad in anyway or that technology is evil and we should all go move out into the woods by any means. It is just my perspective on things as I smoked today.
We live in a world full of distractions. How often do people go through life as one big distraction? We are constantly plugged into technology and often don’t take a chance to view the world around us. I am often reminded of this as I smoke my pipe and browse the various forums. I look down at the clock hours later and it feels as if only minutes have passed. Is this how I want my life to be? When I am on my death bed will I say, “I sure am glad I spent countless hours on my computer”. No, I would say that this is not how I would want to remember my life. I want to go out and experience things. I want to live. I don’t want to be tied into technology every minute of my life.
Technology literally sucks your life away and a few minutes turns into a few hours. However, we don’t have the luxury of gaining these hours back. I heard somewhere that the average human has 657,000 hours to live. That might sound like a huge number of hours; however, consider the daily functions of a human. Humans, on average, sleep 7-8 hours a day. This calculates to about 2555 hours a year and 191,625 in their lifetime. These calculations are based on a person living to be 75 years of age and sleeping 7 hours a night, imagine if they slept more than 7 hours a night. This gives humans, or at least Americans, 465,375 hours of being awake in their lifetime. What am I going to do with all of this time?
If I spend 3 hours a day on the computer I will have wasted roughly 82,125 hours of my life. This might not seem like very much compared to the 465,375 hours but to break that down to days that is 3,421 days. Given the fact that if I live to be 75 I will only have 27,375 days on this earth; I don’t want to look back on my life and realize that I wasted any of it. How productive am I on the computer anyways?
There are many other productive things I could be doing. Such as better someone else’s life or interacting with people on a personal level. After all, isn’t a relationship with other humans and God what really matters? Jesus himself said the two greatest commandments were to love God and your neighbor. If you break everything down it is all about relationships with another human. Let’s say I work for a big corporation. The corporation is run by a group of people who work to support their families. They have people who work for them whose end result is to work to support themselves or their families. We sell our products to other companies who are made up of people who resell the items to support their families or themselves. Isn’t the end result here to support our families and ourselves?
When you break almost anything down it comes down to caring for human needs. I want to be able to look back at my life and see little seeds in people’s lives that I planted when I helped them. I want to see that these moments will shape their families for the rest of their lives. I want to make a difference that will impact not only people’s lives but that they will pass on to other people and consequently the world forever. All of this technology only serves as a distraction to the world around us and people in general. I have roughly 473,040 hours left in my life. What will I do today? What will you do today?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I hope you realize that you have been influencing the lives of members of this little online fraternity

with every one of your 820+ posts to date. You have accomplished this both in some of those specific posts of

greater moment, and in the aggregate of your contributions. Further, you have not been merely spending time here.

However unwittingly, you have been investing it.
Being alternately either a curmudgeon or a comic, I don't often express my admiration for the folks here in

the forums, nor do I reveal how greatly I esteem the camaraderie we have here, for fear of seeming too maudlin.

But I do feel that the time spent here is personally profitable and supremely edifying, thanks to the wonderful

diversity of personalities sharing the joys of the gentle art. No single post will change my life any more than

it can change my opinions; but the cumulative experience has enriched it beyond measure -- which is probably

true for you too, since we both seem to return here time and again. Technology has expanded our reach and our

influence; it has not distracted us from it.
ps. If you want to make a positive impact in my life, help me figure out a way to stop Mrs. Cortez (aka. Shoe Lady)

from bingeing on shoe purchases. :rofl:

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Agree with Cortez's very elegant remarks. Also, to add my own, I think it is very easy to undervalue the connections made with technology. I feel connected here and lucky to have found the site. Being away from civilization for extended periods of time is made much more bearable with this sort of remote technological interaction. Whether it is skype to my family and friends, or coming on here to have a laugh at the posts, (or get involved in a thread like this one), technology enhances my experience considerably in terms of connecition with friends and family.
Something to keep in mind if you are feeling guilty or wasteful when spending time on technology rather than personal interaction... you may be providing connection and a positive impact on another's experience by participating in a medium, that for some, is their only viable option for interaction.
Cheers!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
For many years my daily routine included a stop at my grandparent's house to catch up on family news , chat with the old folks and smoke a pipe with Grandpa. Since they passed on the net has replaced that daily visit. Coming here is a whole lot like chatting with family. Not time wasted.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I once asked myself these questions years ago when I was a moderator on another site. However, it was shortly after that I feel God answered my questions when some online friends spoke up on their own accord just how much I'd impacted their lives and decisions on some very challenging times in their lives. It humbled me in ways I never thought could happen. Sometimes all it takes is one small common interest to spark a life-long friendship and understanding that one might not receive from "real-life" friends and family.
We tend to underestimate the happenings in our lives and how we get there. Technology sure has made leaps and bounds, but human interaction is still the same and we all still need some form or fashion of it.
In my opinion, what more rightly constitutes a waste of time on the computer is when one isn't doing anything constructive. But then again, we all still need those brainless times and we can relax into our own little world.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
No time is wasted if you're happy with what you're doing at the time.

I remember when in 7th grade at Our Lady Of Mount Carmel School in Passaic, NJ a visiting friar asked who we loved most. I had the impudence to say that I loved me. The class and Sister Dominic gasped. Father Sylvester told me that I was right. If you can't love yourself, you can't love others.

Bottom line is, if you are happy being you others will feel it and it becomes contageous. Whether it is time spent in person or on line with people here, making folks feel good about being with you is a positive thing.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
As I said a short time ago I've smoked pipes for fourty years.The only thing special about that is I've lived long enough to do it.I have more pipes than I need.I've probably tried over three hundred blends in those years.Do I need to be online to smoke my pipes..NO..In fact I smoked pipes for thirty years before getting online.It would be just plain silly though to say that I haven't learned new things from pipe forums such as this one.But that as you could know by the tone of this post is not the number one reason I've been a part of said forums for ten years now.I seldom meet other pipe smokers in person.These online forums in part help replace that.Sharing our thoughts and feelings with others in a kind compasionate way is what it's about here.In my opinion that's definitely not a waste of my time.I enjoy pipe smoking,and these forums,and plan to continue both well past 75

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
Sadly, if you added up all of the time one spends waiting, i.e. in line, on someone, for work to end, at the stop light, etc. it would dwarf most of the others.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
Sadly, if you added up all of the time one spends waiting, i.e. in line, on someone, for work to end, at the stop light, etc. it would dwarf most of the others.
No time is wasted if you're happy with what you're doing at the time
Papipeguy, I respectfully agree.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Funny that you posted this today, and it proves once again that we are all connected. I just today got out the calculator and figured up too the approximate hours I have on Earth.

We are blessed to be able to be born into this specific time frame so that we can share and communicate with others who share our hobby. We use to only be exposed to our own little world/community and let rather sheltered lives. Now the whole world is at our fingertips, images, stories, an information orgy. I too have pondered many times the value of the web, and how we are to spend our time in this incarnation.
The motorcycle forums I belong to have allowed the members to get together annually at events and meet/share friendships. My stereo forums have exposed me to different equipment that increases my enjoyment of music, as well as meeting new people at events, and ultimately provide me with a new form of income.
This forum has provided me with my cherished pipe that I smoke my cherished Penzance out of. The Box Pass and the generosity of the participants has allowed me to experience over 70 different blends that I would have never been exposed to otherwise. The conversations igloo and Lawrence, Bubba and I have on the phone are cherished events. Every time I use the custom crafted tamper that Lawrence gifted me with, brings a smile to my face. I am planning a future trip to Seattle on a motorcycle one day and part of that trip will be stopping by and meeting some of the members on here. This forum enriches our lives...period.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
It definitely adds something to my life, and I respect every one of you blokes -- but it is a poor substitute for being able to sit down with someone and smoke a pipe, perhaps I feel that sting more than most because I have (and I hate how trite and childish this sounds) no friends whom I may see in person, not a single one. Of course, I've -had- friends, the college atmosphere just seems to negate any possibility of meeting people of any description and then being able to speak to them a second time let alone become friends (though just two weeks ago I spent 7 hours with some guy I met walking out of my last class, couldn't tell you his name though, and will never see him again are the overwhelming odds).
I mention all that, because it brings me back to wallbright's assertion, or perhaps only warning, of wasted time and I have to say that in a lot of ways I hate technology because it, more than anything else, is why meeting people randomly never turns into a friendship, or even a second conversation, for me. It is also why I cannot have a conversation every day. People are -always- on their phones, or laptops, or even just listening to music. You can spend 30 minutes sitting in front of a building beside a man every single morning and the only word every spoken between the two of you be the one time you tried to start up a conversation and got ignored. It bothers me that these people can spend 40-80% of their free time involved in countless "facebook friends" they've never met (or even the handful they have) and pay no attention to what is around them.
I think the part that actually saddens me about the who issue is that these people do not notice the absolutely gorgeous landscaping of the campus. They sit by the fountain and never do their eyes trace the flow of the water, or beneath the tree and nary a time have I seen them glance at what is above them rather than the infernal device that sits in their laps. Our eyes are ever cast downward and if I were a religious man, I would that almost terrifying.
That said, an hour or so here and there with you blokes is perfectly fine *chuckles*

jimmyg

Lurker
Apr 5, 2011
Not a lot of you guys really know of me on this site, me being a newbie,but here is how i feel about this subject.

Im a Uk pipe smoker and personally i dont know anybody else that smokes a pipe except for my late father, Im a 40yr old ex plasterer, who unfortunatly due to a fall at work as been left disabled, and find it very hard to walk,so as you can imagine lifes is quite boring for me, as i do not have any social life,my life took a turn for the better when i found this site, not only because we all share such a beautiful way of smoking, but even tho i dont know enough of you guys yet i love to read what your thoughts are on all these daily subjects,so for me its like having a new lease of life, and i feel that i finally have a social life again(hope that does not sound too silly)so all i can say is thank god for modern ways of comunication, i only wish i had found this site alot earlier,Happy Puffing Guys :puffpipe: :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
My condolences mate, and welcome to the fold. You'll feel like these lads have been your pals forever soon enough, bet your bippy on that, mein Freund.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Cortez,(and other guys) perhaps I can help with your Shoe Lady issue. Many women have a need. They haven't a clue what it is, only that there is a gap or hole in their lives. When they are shopping, for a few glorious minutes, the need feels met. They know that this does not solve the problem, but it is the only solution they have ever encountered. If you stop the shoes, it will morph into something else, like jewlery, quilting, art, etc. The true solution is for you to find her need and fulfill it. (not sex) I suggest spending more time together. The upside, is after her shoe issue is resolved, you will have more money left at the end of the month.
Winton

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Pretty heavy stuff here. I wouldnt call my time on the computer wasted time at all. However, if I thought it was...I wouldn't do it. The band ALABAMA, has a song..."I'm in a hurry...", which seems to be many folks' way of life...the song seems as an interspection, as this OP. You are in charge of your own time, feelings, beliefs, time management, etc. See that Mr Wallbright, you've assisted me into discovering I'm sort of an existentialist.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is getting to the point where I feel like we're sitting in a circle in the basement of some church; but in a good way.

My wife and I are going to NJ to see my parents today and have a BBQ to celebrate my Dad's 85th birthday. While I don't see them often enough I do owe them for everything I have accomplished in life. My folks taught me to have a strong work ethic, a proper code of morals (the bad stuff I learned on my own) and a love of family & friends.

Today will be time well spent.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm not so sure I've wasted so much as a minute of my life.
When someone says they've "wasted time",...they, (in retrospect), now consider what it was that they did and now wish they'd done something else instead.

When they say that someone else has wasted time..what they really mean is that in their opinion, that person should have chosen a better way to spend their time.
Everything I've done in my life was exactly what I wanted to do at that time, and therefore; I don't think any of it was wasted. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.