PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I use mineral oil, but don't consider it a polish. For that, wax, and carnauba is the best. However, if you don't have a buffer, a lot of work. Therefor, Halcyon or similar is the ticket.
And IIRC, linseed is likely to leave a dull film.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some like oil, polish, and wax of various kinds. If you have a buffer, or spend a lot of elbow grease, you can get a new-pipe shine, but you can also get left with a residue that can require a lot of cleaning and polishing in itself. Oil or wax them if you must, but a good polishing with a soft cloth can maintain a pipe in good shape and appetizing to look at for years. Many of us have enough pipes we are not fighting serious wear or deterioration.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Paragon is the other good product for an easy wax. Apply a tiny amount with finger tips or hands, let dry and then buff with a soft cloth. Neither products I mentioned require elbow grease.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Sans buffing wheel, these work out pretty well for me; Halcyon and Paragon waxes. I use an old (clean) sock to buff off the wax after applying and allowing it to dry. I drop the pipe into the sock and rub away. It allows the sock to absorb the wax. Then, after each subsequent smoke, I drop the pipe I happen to have smoked into the sock for a quick buff and it emerges quite shiny!

chewuch

Lurker
Aug 14, 2018
{Then there is the old trick of using the oil between your nose and your cheek.}
Also known as Oil of Man.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nose wax, oil, grease*. All good stuff, but too soft for a high shine.
*Which of those it is depends on the viscosity. Or the preference of he who speaks it.

Status
Not open for further replies.