PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
In about one week I will be headed off to Europe for three weeks for a family vacation. We are spending 5 days in Paris and then 2 days in Barcelona before we board a cruise ship in Barcelona for a 13 day Mediterranean cruise. On the cruise we are hitting Nice & Monaco, Florence, Rome, Athens, Mykonos, Turkey & Malta before the ship heads back to Barcelona.
This may come as a shock to you, but my lovely wife and kids don't share the same love that I have for pipes and tobacco. Accordingly, I will likely have only one or two opportunities to visit a tobacconist or other seminal pipe stop before they grow tired of my pursuit. So I need to make this count.
I will be in Paris for the longest time, and it stands to reason that I am likely to have the greatest opportunity there to visit a tobacconist/pipe store. Can anyone recommend one worth visiting? What about Rome or Florence? I am assuming I am SOL on the other stops.
Feel fee to offer any tips or other nuggets of wisdom.

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Bradley, I have made a note of it and will plot it on the map:
http://www.fincatolacasadelhabano.com/index.html

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I don't remember the name of the shop, but when you're visiting the "Duomo" in Florence, you're right on target for an excellent pipe shop. Just look out for the Florence Cathedral aka "The Duomo." "Santa Maria del Fiore". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Cathedral). Actually, you can't miss this thing. It's really hard to go to Florence and not see it.
The best thing is that it is one of the biggest attractions in Florence and most people will want to go. I'm not into the whole cathedral tour thing myself, and I don't really recommend it, but it could be a good cover to use and get you in striking range. It's also centrally located. Just watch out for the tourists to find the way to go... it gets thick.
Hell, you can play it off as a surprise when you're suddenly standing next to a pipe shop and a huge tourist attraction all at the same time. It won't count towards one of your tolerated visits, thus giving you extra time in another city to browse.
Again, I don't remember the name of the shop, but it was a corner store. If you circle the cathedral and look at each street coming in (the cathedral acts like a ring, with streets as spokes pointing to it), you cannot miss it. It's a good one and well worth the visit.
Enjoy!
Don't bother with Turkey. Pipes and tobacco is virtually non-existent there and when you do find tobacco, I'm pretty sure it won't be anything you want to smoke. Best to have a better look around Paris and get to some quality places there. The one in Florence is a freebie, on account of it being so ridiculously convenient.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I live close to Paris but try to avoid it if at all possible, I'm just not a city boy. Three weeks should get you into August which is the best time to vist Paris as alot of Parisians will be on annual holidays.
This is a link to recommend tabacs in France from a French pipe forum list, if you can't read French then google translate can help. Oh and if you don't know the Paris departments are 75, 92, 93 and 94. There is far more of a cigar culture than pipe culture over here and the cigars are well priced. Oddly even the smallest back street tabac can sometimes sell some very nice aged cubans so it can be worth looking around.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
As far as tobacco goes, Barcelona is the place... they have by far best prices in Eu. But I'm sure that you are well set with tobacco :).

I would contact C Asteriou, he is from Athens. order a pipe from him and ask him to meet you at the port. how cool is that :) he is one of the best in the world as far as classical shapes go imo.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
Unadoptedlamp I'm on a ship to Corsica, when I return in 3 weeks I'll stop in Florence, thanks a lot for recommendation!

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hi Peck,
I visited Barcelona and wrote up the pipe places I visited on the forum--the link is below. As sajgre mentioned, if you're looking for inexpensive pipe tobacco then Barcelona is key. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-tobacco-retailers-in-barcelona-spain#post-499484

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
It's always great finding all the excellent posts on this site. I've smoked a pipe off and on for many years, but I've learned more in the past few months being here than anywhere else. Came to Barcelona for a long weekend and will be keeping this list handy and hopefully will end up by several of these shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.