PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrantonpipes16

Might Stick Around
Nov 28, 2010
What purpose does a pipe Pick Serve? Does it allow me to get a better draw? And Do I use it after I pack my pipe? Some many questions, but curiosity has got the best of me.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I use it for two reasons... 1) I use it to loosen up the tobacco after I tamp too hard and can't get a good draw anymore. I just stick it in and use a little leverage to pull the tobacco up. 2) I use it to clean out the left over tobacco once I am done smoking! Those are the only two uses I have found so far!

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I agree with Bubba here. I use it to loosen tobacco if I tamp too hard, to clean out the left over tobacco after I am done (along with the scoop tool on the czech tool or whatever), and I also use it to unblock the stem if it ever needs it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
One of our sage members shared a great tip. I wish I could remember who it was so he could get proper credit.

The idea was to facilitate an even re-light by using the pick to poke a hole in the tobacco on the side

opposite the shank. The idea being that the flame would be drawn to the far side of the ember instead of

the near side where the draw hole is.
I don't use a pick, so I don't have any experience with the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.