Pipe Photography - First Try (Image Heavy!!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hi folks,
Today I was trying my hand on pipe photography for the first time, in preparation for possibly putting up some Estates on Briarbid. All images were done using a Lastolite Cube with 3 lights (left, right, top) and a single flash inside the cube remotely triggered. Camera is a D700 with an AF-S 24-120 f/4 VRII lens. C&C welcome.
Brigham 1-Dot, Shape #106 From the 1980s

brigham1dot.jpg

Brigham 3-Dot, Markings faded to unreadable

brigham3dot.jpg

Brigham 4-Dot, Can Patent from the 1960s, Shape #432

brigham4dot.jpg

Comoy's Grand Slam from the 1950s

comoygrandslam.jpg

Frank Medico - Imported Briar Root from the 1940s

frankmedicoimportedbria.jpg

GBD Penthouse - From the 1950s

gbdpenthouse.jpg

Dang, pipe photography is pretty hard!

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Very nice photos. Sharp and detailed. Thanks for sharing. :puffpipe:

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Hmmm....pics are perfectly lighted, perfectly in focus, in a nicely arranged display. I suppose if you go for that sort of thing, they are pretty darn good.
My own style is to take pics more out of focus. I usually like to crop off random pipe parts, too.
Its a style I perfected taking family snapshots over the years.

:nana:

dpkrause

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2012
Love the photos. What is the white background and what are you using for a light source?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those are great pictures Nic. No shadows, nicely framed and focused. What type of lens is that? (macro?)
The pipes look great as well.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
DPKrause, it's called a "lightbox" (http://www.cubelite.co.uk/). I use 3 clamped work lights with 54W CFL Lightbulbs at 5100K colour temperature (daylight).
Al, it is a zoom lens with a constant f/4 aperture. Not the best lens for the job, you are right I should probably get a macro lens for better results.
Thanks everybody for the overwhelmingly positive feedback! I guess I'll use those pictures then!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that cubelight works, no shadows. I still say great work using a telephoto lens. I've tried one my wife's DSLR (Canon Rebel)and still can't get that kind of detail.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Cigrmaster: About 50$ worth of material and you can, too - even with a point and shoot camera. :)
http://www.chesterbullock.com/2009/01/12/diy-monday-pvc-light-tent-w-glass-riser/

Status
Not open for further replies.