PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the Thanksgiving mode, I owe thanks to so many here on Forums and in the pipe community. A member sent me a near full package of Semois after he didn't like it, because someone else had sent me a sample and I had raved about it. This was a leaf I had read about in the newspaper, from Belgium, that I assumed I'd never smoke. Well, that's just the beginning. When the box with the Semois arrived, I was delighted to discover that it also included a full unopened large tin of Frog Morton Cellar; I was ecstatic. When I thanked this generous member for this lavish gift, he asked me how I liked the pipe. The pipe? I dove back downstairs for the box, and sure enough I was astounded with a magnificent Ferndown bent billiard with the signature Les Wood (artisan carver) hand crafted band! I hope I was lavish enough in my thanks, because I was literally speechless. On a different occasion, after two or three pipe shows stopping to admire the exquisite carving of the late award-winning artisan Bob Hayes, I was making my way through the pipe show late in the afternoon and he casually offered me one of his pipes for a staggering low price. Again, I hardly knew what to say, dumfounded. I think I stammered something about it being an offer I couldn't refuse, but frankly I thought I'd smoked something other than tobacco in my sampling. I went home and opened my prize with considerable disbelief. Here lately, after discussing Meers on Forums, and admitting that I hadn't yet taken that plunge, fishnbanjo sent me a wonderful estate Meer, a lightly colored wine-grape-etched straight billiard, which has been a total adventure in cleaning up and exploring the wonders of Meer smoking. Not to mention the wonderful lighter etched with the image of my U.S. Navy ship U.S.S. Gallant, MSO 489 ... what a great gift for a vet. And many Forums members have sent me excellent samples of many genres of tobacco, recently a whole array of samples from the Chicago pipe show, not one of which has not been a winner for my particular tastes, today some Peterson 3-P. So thanks are not enough, and I celebrate Thanksgiving with humility and gratitude. I hope I have reciprocated, and I also thank Chaplain Jim for giving us the opportunity to donate pipes and tobacco to the brave men and women in our military at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. Thank you one and all, and a great Thanksgiving weekend all around.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
And I want to thank you sir, for being around and keeping this place interesting and entertaining and informative all the time.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I am thankful for this place too. When I first started out last year, I would search answers to pipe questions and many times the results would send me here. In my short time here, I have had fellow members send me amazing and generous gifts of tobacco while refusing anything in return. This in turn has inspired me to be more generous in my dealings. So, re-read my first sentence! :)

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If it wasn't for this community I probably would of quit the pipe after the first week. I've only been smoking eight months and I've learned a lot and I still have a lot to learn. Thank you everyone for your responses to my questions...even the wise cracking comments.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yes, many thanks to all at this forum and their generosity! Tom, you are probably the most prolific poster on the forums, but you always have something thoughtful to say. I thank you for contributing so much for all of us here. :clap:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
mso - Very well put. As a new guy, I have to thank all of you experienced members for your contributions to the forum. The information you guys have handed down has made my pipe smoking so much more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. But, also thanks to the new members and novice smokers too, who are willing to ask the "dumb" questions that I may have been too hesitant to bring up. This is a great place.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Good for you, Tom. You deserve it. At the same time you got your meer, Mssr. Fish gifted me a medium bend early 1960s Andreas Bauer of Austria meer Sultan face with a black acrylic stem. Our banjoman told me the story about how he acquired them, and in getting a nice meer for himself, he thought of us, too.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
What goes around, comes around, Tom. You're one of the good ones, as they say. I always enjoy your thoughtful and insightful comments. I always check out your posts when I see you've posted. Keep up the good work laddie!

Status
Not open for further replies.