Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Dr. Grabow Paint Coming Off

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was doing cleaning on my Dr. Grabow seen here  photo IMG_1873_zps84b82a1f.jpg"> and when cleaning it I removed some of the paint on the top of the bowl. So my question would be is there anyway I can get the green back on it or should I just count it as a screw up and move on.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Ron, IMO you didn't "screw up" at all. Your Dr. Grabow is a prime example of the "painted finish" I so abhor on pipes and what happened to you with this one is one of the reasons I avoid them.

The paint is coming off as expected. The good news is your pipe will continue to smoke as well as it did before this happened. You could just strip all the paint off the stummel and your pipe will likely smoke better than it does now.

Short of repainting it (which I would not recommend), I'm sorry but I cannot suggest any other way to "fix" it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just recoat it with a rattle can of spray paint in the color of your choice.

Better yet, give it to your kids or grandkids and let them create a masterpiece for you.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipes with paint on them, lacquer, or any coating are not my thing for a reason, the whole point to brair pipes is partly eliminated by such coatings. Please for the love of your pipe take some sandpaper to it and let it shine in it's natural beauty, the nice part is you probably don't even need to dye it. I would use something like 300 grit to remove the paint, 600 to finish, and 1,500+ (from Autozone) to sand it nice and fine. Don't be worried about messing it up, sandpaper is really forgiving, just give it a good coat of wax and polish it up when your done, it will be infinitely better and look nicer than with the paint.

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Better yet, give it to your kids or grandkids and let them create a masterpiece for you.
    Only one problem there Zeke I'm 20. The main this about this pipe for me is that it is painted and I've always have loved seeing the displays of Grabows in old adds and now I own one, so I would like to keep it intact.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like the way the Dr Grabow looks (I do!) then just leave it alone. If the paint chips off here and there it just makes the pipe look like it was well loved and well used.

People who collect cameras, guitars, cars, furniture, and even guns look in complete disdain when someone tries to "restore" or "cover up" wear marks, scratches, uneven paint coloration, etc. on items that are more valuable in original condition.

You will never be able to recreate that paint color. Ask any collector how much they hate when someone tries to recreate that seafoam-green color on a vintage Fender electric.

Thank you for posting a picture of that great looking green Dr Grabow.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the pipe, my Dad had the entire set in fact there is a pic of me at three sitting smoking his green pipe just like that one. Of course not really smoking lol keep it original man. BTW my dads favorites where the green, white and I believe there was an orange one too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ron,you should use only a mild soap and water to clean the outside of that Color Duke or any painted pipe. The paint is pretty hard stuff,but the paint on your pipe is also 20-30 years old. I've had several Grabow and Medico painted pipes in my rotation. They smoked just fine. Halcyon or Paragon wax works great on them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So question is the paint on those pipes lead based? Just wondering. I've seen them but don't own one.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank for the tip ejame, and shaintiques I sure hope those lead based.
    ~Ron

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, redone, alexnc, jiminks