PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnevans

Lurker
Feb 13, 2012
Hi all I am a new pipe smoker, and was looking at pipe packing, your methods shown don't show the

fox method just called it that as I saw it on jjfoxcigars, youtube.a guide to new pipe smokers how to fill you pipe.(Dublin) Ireland.

mrhooker93

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2011
pipefriend on youtube has useful videos for beginner pipe smokers. Check him out....

Like you, I am fairly new in the pipe world and one of the beginner methods I learned was the 3 step method.

Remember when packing your pipe, use the touch of a child in the first pinch, the touch of a woman in the second pinch, and the touch of a man in the third pinch.

Also, make sure the draw is not too tight on your pipe. It should be like your sucking something through a straw.....

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Depends a lot on the cut too. Really loose cut tobacco is well served with a gravity feed method, flakes with a fold and stuff, and then again, some of us old timers just use the stuff and puff, lol. This sort of thing will get you as many suggestions as there are pipe smokers! Good luck!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I would recommend that you watch the video's listed in the left-hand column. (Just scroll down. You'll see them.)

Here is one: Pipe Packing Methods Video 1

I have seen that video you mentioned before, and was underwhelmed.

I believe that once you learn the the "Three Step" and the "Frank" methods, you'll develop the "Codger" method of just stuff and puff...

It just takes some practice to get the tightness or looseness of packing right.

After that it'll be second nature.

Welcome Aboard!

:puffy:

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
I'm with you on this one Lawrence. The "Codger" method is developed after years of experience. It looks easy to the uninitiated, but it isn't. Taking into account factors such as: RH of the blend, cut of the blend, size of the Pipe's chamber and drafting characteristics of the Pipe is done with apparent ease, but that is only because we make it look easy.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I use the back and forth method. While the pipe is in your pouch stuff the bowl going back and forth from the right side of the bowl stuff, then from the left side stuff. Increasing the stuffing pressure everytime you stuff. When you get to the top check the draw. Then tamp the bowl down about 1/4 inch from the top of the bowl. Check the draw again. Char light, tamp, then fully light the bowl. Works great.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Howdy mate and welcome. Read the posts, Watch the video's, research the info. and ask the questions. All great ideas and it is the proper way to go. But the bottom line is, 20 people have 20 different ways that work for them, and i am included also. You will find what works best for you through practice and experimenting, practice and experimentingl, etc. Never become frustrated, never give up. Hang in there and you'll get er. Enjoy!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Welcome to the forum. I've mastered stuff n puff. Now onto all the other stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.