Pipe Organs Have Many Uses

(8 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by georged
  • Latest reply from jonasclark
  1. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A friend of mine was lamenting the cookie-cutter Auto-Tune formulaic bullshit that passes for music these days, and wondered if anything approaching "Holy shit... now THAT is cool!" was being produced anymore.

Turns out there is, you just have to dig for it.

This group of eccentric geniuses hail from Norway, and don't just think outside the box... in their musical world there IS no box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KBy_nAmTCo&list=PLJtmU4DthfH27H1Gm09UohDmpNjb8LiJQ&index=5&t=0s

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 3 months ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very interesting. A few too many "Oh's" for my taste, but that is real music. With a tiny steel drum to boot!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  3. sittingbear

sittingbear

Login to Send PM

That's very catchy. Now I have a new band to obsess over. And a Norwegian band on Syttende Mai, to boot!

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Originality! Where'd that come from??? The pipe organ is certainly a nice touch, and the singer has a lovely voice. I can't see myself listening to this very often, but I feel like I could certainly enjoy it from time to time. May listen to more of their music later.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

6. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  7. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting. Hearing pipe organs takes me back to Seattle in the mid- to late 1970s when there was a place called Pizza & Pipes. Pretty good pizza, long tables with benches and a big pipe organ plus all the assorted accessories for doing sound effects. There was also a place in West Seattle (I believe) that sold pizza and had a pipe organ. That place played the old black & white silent movies for entertainment.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. jonasclark

jonasclark

Login to Send PM

Pappymac, Pizza & Pipes was in Seattle (Greenwood), Bellevue and Tacoma. Into the VERY early 80s, there was also Big Bob's Pipe Dream in Burien, South of West Seattle. I'm an organ buff, and after much research, the "pipe organ pizza" fad (which started in California in the 60s - Pizza & Pipes, the chain, also started in California) eventually included well over a hundred restaurants over the 1960s-1990s. There are now a whopping THREE remaining. If anyone wants to check out this fad of the past, these three are still in full swing and, unlike a lot of these places (which were frequently run by organ people who knew little about running a restaurant) they have good pizza. They are:

Organ Piper Music Palace, Greenfield (near Milwaukee) Wisconsin. This is one of the few to have had two different organs over the years.

Beggars Pizza, Lansing, Illinois. Beggars is a local chain, but only this one has an organ and it isn't played every night. The console is on an elevator, though.

Organ Stop Pizza, Mesa, Arizona. The last remaining of a chain of three, and the only such place known to have changed buildings. It's the largest theatre organ ever constructed (currently over 80 ranks of pipes) and the console is on a rotating lift. Spectacular place and really good food.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   brooklynpiper, trouttimes, dontbeaburleyman, alaskanpiper, krizzose, mossdoug, jpmcwjr, pipeanddrum, prndl, tolkienfan, ukbob, metzmo, dmcmtk, elasmo, jeremystafford