PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Have any of you guys ever been sitting on your porch or mowing the yard with a pipe in your teeth, and you get some idiot that walks by and asks, "What are you smoking in that pipe there?" This edition of the Keepers of the Flame blog deals with how the college era smokers are perceived by the public at large, how we are often unfairly stereotyped, and why the "Antis" just need to mind their own business. A huge thanks goes out to marmal4de and reichenbach for the photo contributions. Hope you enjoy.
More Thoughts From a Collegiate Smoker: Misconceptions, Stigmas, and Stereotypes

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Talking of stereotypes, one of the people in the photos has no facial hair - is he an enemy spy? Nice article, thanks.

Jul 15, 2011
Had I included a pic of myself in the article, you would have also seen that I too have no facial hair. Speaking of stereotypes, pipe smokers without beards do exist, they're just few and far between. :wink: Thanks for reading!

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Well said, but unfortunately it will never be read by the people that need to read it. What you didn't mention in your article and maybe should have. Is, these same people that are jumping to conclusions about why young people are using pipes are from my generation and it was my generation that has gone down in history as the generation that popularized the use of those same substances. Hypocrites abound.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Nice article!

Haven't noticed this issue to much in my home town, but I haven't openly smoked my pipe too much either.

Either way you make a valid point and I will start smoking wherever I can without causing trouble.

Soon I will be on the news! "Breaking news! Multitudes of people swarm the streets of Midland in the search of the unknown man smoking a pipe."

It would be my luck!

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Very well written article showing lots of thought.
I love my pipes, I love my tobaccos, I love the taste and the aroma, and quite frankly, I don’t give a damn what other people think about it.
Love that quote....I pretty much feel that way about most other things I do as well. :puffy:

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Great read Pipe Novelist!!!
Glad to have you back on the forums Cyndi!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
It's been awhile since I have seen you or Shaun on....

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
rickpal! :D Life has gone a little nuts lately. Shaun is working all the time and even when he's off work, he's strapped to his cell phone just in case he has to go "black ops" on a project. As for me, I unfortunately discovered that 450mg of Lyrica will erase any and all cravings for tobacco. Don't worry - I'm fighting back! ;)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Excellent essay. I do remember being very annoyed by the what are you smoking in that pipe buddy wink wink comments. I still get those comments every now and then from some arsehole or other.
For the record, I also am without beard or mustache.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
You guys actually get it pretty easy from the assholes of the world. I get "hey baby, I got a pipe you can suck on!"
I like to tell em "mine's bigger."

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I felt like this was something that needed to be said, and having dealt with this sort of thing first hand it really pisses me off.
I get "hey baby, I got a pipe you can suck on!"
Cyndi, I feel like this is something that I might have glossed over in the article, the way that young women pipe smokers are perceived by the public. I feel like the reaction you get is pretty vile.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
PN, as a female who has grown up around (often) drunk rednecks - some men will say just about anything they think their buddies will laugh at. My Dad had to physically hold me back at the gun range once because of the comments one guy was saying about me to his 12 yo son! It's just part of the nature of humanity - some people are just rude, crude, and socially unacceptable.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Thank goodness Cyndi is back in action. Was getting a little stagnant here with all the internet testosterone. :)
A breath of fresh air. That might punch you in the face if you a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.