PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
One of my first posts here on this site was an inquiry about a pipe my wife bought about 30 years ago. She always called it her witches pipe for some reason, but I would just call it a pick-axe shape. The pipe had a repair band on it so part of the brand name and style were covered, showing only Dul... over Qu..., and on the other side, part of Made in England was showing. We could never figure out who made this pipe, and no one on this site had many ideas either if memory serves.
So today, while looking at sellers I've bought from on ebay in the past, I found the same pipe, only with a churchwarden stem. It's a Dunwich Quaint, so I guess it is a witches pipe to some degree! It has another stamping on it that ours doesn't have, the shape number 126 Fieldcraft. I've never heard of this brand, and I cannot find anything online except that Pipedia says that they were often meerschaum lined.
So I thought I'd give it another shot. Anyone have any info or guesses on what Dunwich pipes are?
My wife's pipe:

img_00015-600x449.jpg

The pipe on ebay:

_574-600x450.jpg

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Looks like the same pipe but your wife's appears to have had a stem repair. Notice the nomenclature starts in the same spot but on your wife's the it is covered with a band. Sorry I don't have any information to offer.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very cool that you finally stumbled upon some info on your mystery pipe. You should buy the ebay pipe so yours isn't lonely. :puffy:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
samcoffeeman: I saw a Dunhill in that shape on ebay almost 2 years ago, and I posted it's pic along with our pipe to see what anybody thought. I didn't get much response so I figured there wasn't much to say about the pipe with only a partial nomenclature showing. I deleted the Dunhill pic at some point for some reason. Funny now that I know the complete name, it still doesn't help much. So far I know that Dulwich is an old part of south London, and at one time they had a tavern called the Green Man, and a hermit that was murdered in Dulwich woods, and now they have a nice college there... yay :lol:

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I also recently grabbed a Dulwich pipe, it's blasted like a Shell finish and has a Dunhill-esque bulldog shape. I'll post a pic at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.