PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Can pipe mud be made only from a cigar ash, or can it be made from pipe tobacco ash too? I did search on this topic and found out that there are mixed opinions on this subjucts. Recomendatios please

I have used ashes from my pipes, but I think the reason most advise against it is because it doesn't burn completely like a cigar does. There are always particles of un-burned tobacco in pipe ash. But, I haven't found it to be a hindrance. The pipes that I've used it on are still working, and the mud is doing its job. I can't imagine using Dead Sea mud or any real mud, but some have suggested using fireplace mortar. I can't say how well this works, since I've not ever tried it. But, it seems rather drastic.

Jun 4, 2014
Last time I made pipe mud I used cigar ash, but I've made it with pipe ash too. The only difference was I sifted the pipe ash through an old tea strainer to remove any unburned tobacco.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Search I did, and found a lot of different opinions. Thats why I ask here, to try and get more recent points of view.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
As with just about everything related to pipe-smoking, you will always find multiple opinions! If you have the time and resources available I would suggest trying multiple options and then sticking with what you feel works the best. Then you can add your opinion to the rest!
I recently picked up the stove & fireplace cement from Lowes to attempt my first ever "pipe mud" application to some old restoration projects that I have on-going. I'll let you know how it goes.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Well I used pipe tobacco ash and it worked just fine. :D

Thanks again everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.