PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I have a pipe that has developed a hairline crack at the base of the bowl. Does anyone have experience with pipe mud or is that a job to be sent to a restoration pro? Your suggestions/advice please.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Unclearthur: It's clear through. I did a salt alcohol soak and I noticed some ooze through. After a smoke there was also an ooze through to the outside of the bowl. I was hopeful that the inside of the bowl could be mud sealed. The pipe is an old no namer but a good smoker.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Smear in a bit of mud and see what comes of it. At worst you may have to ream the mud out and send it to a repairman for a briar plug. I have several pipes with minor cracks like you describe that I have healed up with a bit of mud.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Per uncle arthur's advice, I tried a couple drops of honey, a couple drops of homemade yogurt (in the absence of buttermilk), and mixed with enough fine ash to make a pancake-batter consistency, coated the chamber with the slurry, then let it dry for a couple days before smoking a bowl and BAM! Instant cake. Pretty remarkable and didn't taste bad at all.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Just some water and cigar ash works well. Make a stiff paste and smear it in. Let it dry and you are good to go.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Unclearthur, "Just some water and cigar ash works well. Make a stiff paste and smear it in. Let it dry and you are good to go." I have several pipes that have a high draft hole. Wondering if the mud would work to raise the bottom of the bowl to where it should be to get a better and more complete burn? I am thinking I could even do repeated applictions to get the right height.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Marc, Thanks for info. Don't know why I never thought of it. I have used mud to build cake on a bowl. Just never thought of using it on the bottom. Been puzzling over it for several years now.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Wondering if the mud would work to raise the bottom of the bowl to where it should be to get a better and more complete burn? I am thinking I could even do repeated applictions to get the right height.
Gold Star for Zunismoke!
Gold-Star.gif

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I've not used the pipe mud method myself. But many claim it's a winner.
The way that I repair interior cracks as well as burnt spots and low drilling is with powdered grout mix. Just clean the area as well as you can and then mix up a little of the mix with water to a paste. I then apply it as needed and let it dry, turns out hard as rock and a cake will build quickly over it. After a smoke or two you won't even see it.
One tip, any time your trying to raise the bottom of the bowl to meet the airway (No matter what method you use) you want to make sure and put a pipe cleaner thru the airway into the bowl when applying the mixture. Otherwise you stand a chance of getting the mixture into the airway.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I learned that trick among many others on forums just like this one. These forums are wonderful tools for such things.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
The grout sounds like a great idea. I'm going to try that first. Thanks for the advice.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
A follow-up to Smokindawg's suggestion of filling a hairline crack with tile grout.
EUREKA! Works like a charm. Thanks for the tip. As an aside I just happened to have dark brown grout from a floor I installed about 25 years ago in my bathroom. That bathroom has since been completely redone, but I still had the grout in my garage. Made the inside of the bowl look like a new pipe. Go figure!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150623974590&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
The link is for the pipe I got for a song along with the stand on e-bay. The grout took care of the problem.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Glad that it worked out well for you. Nice to be able to fix a pipe that looked unsaveable.

Status
Not open for further replies.