PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I was watching Dead Poets Society tonight on AMC and began to wonder if this would make a good thread. What is your favorite "pipe" movie? Could be a movie that has a favorite pipe featured, favorite pipe smoking actor or just one that features many pipe smoking scenes. I'll start with the original Miracle on 34th St Black and White addition. I loved how casually pipes were smoked in those days and how men looked more esteemed. Feel free to add pictures of scenes or link the actual scene so we can all see what you enjoyed.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Thanks to this forum, I watched "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House" from 1948. Epic Cary Grant pipe movie... :puffy:

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
the Bing movies have some good pipes but ill go with a new movie Sherlock Holmes.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Good subject

If you want to see movies with pipes, you're either going to need to watch period pieces (movies set in times when pipe smoking was more prevalent) or old movies. I've noticed that pipe smoking either falls into one of two categories: in character smoking or comic/prop smoking. In character smoking simply means that the character is smoking because that's a part of the character. Lust for Life is an example. My current avatar is a still taken from My Man Godfrey (1936) that shows William Powell's character smoking a pipe. Another example would be Melvyn Douglas and Cary Grant in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Home (1948). Their characters were very affluent (I think a lawyer and an advertising exec respectively), and they almost always had upscale pipes lit. There is so much pipe smoking in that movie that I wonder if some pipe company was producing the movie haha. Of course, you also have the Sherlock Holmes movies (Basil Rathbone, Robert Downey Jr., etc.). Then you have some comic characters like Will Ferrel (Anchorman and Land of the Lost) or Pa Kettle in the Ma and Pa Kettle series.

The other category would be what I call the comic/prop category, and that is simply using the pipe as a gag piece and not really out of character reasons. Stan Laurel sometimes used a calabash to stand as a contrast between Sherlock Holmes/intellectualism and his character. Abbott and Costello, the Bowery Boys, and others have also used pipes for such purposes. You could also argue that the Will Ferrell examples cited above may also fit in this category too.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I don't know the movie, or if he was even making a movie at the time of this photo. But I

always liked Gary Cooper.......
4640632432_a915837e2c_o.jpg

keysersoze

Lurker
Sep 30, 2012
I would have to go with Sherlock Holmes all the way. Does anyone know the last pipe the Robert Downey smokes at the end of Game of Shadows (the churchwarden)?

Status
Not open for further replies.