PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dctp

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
Are there any pipes in production (even artisanal pipes) that are made strictly with wood. I don't like using plastics and especially don't like the idea of heating any grade of plastic up and putting it in my mouth. I've looked for wooden stems but maybe I haven't looked in the right places. I've even gone so far as thinking about a real amber stem and I'm willing to throw the cash at it if that's what I have to do. I just definitely don't want anything synthetic.
I'm probably about to buy an Old Dominion corn cob pipe for now just to have something and I can always use it to test with before using my good pipe (if I ever find one).
I really like the idea of antique pipes and I would rather have an 18th century styled pipe. Also, are the "bowls" usually lined with anything? I'd like to have a pipe strictly "organic" in nature and not be finished with any synthetic compounds and no lining of the inside.
Thanks,

cp
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

Rubber is not synthetic. It is a natural plant material. Vulcanite is natural rubber mixed with sulfur. But, yes, Vauen and Ropp pipes (I believe) make horn and briar stems.
If you have a problem with the pipe material, how come you have no issues with burning stuff and sucking it into your mouth? :puffy:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
indeed. not to chase you off (welcome, btw!) but it may be difficult to go full organic in today's pipe world. There IS the option of getting the clay tavern pipes. Those would be all natural (and cool, both smoking and aesthetically).
Good luck in your quest!

dctp

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
because it's not a synthetic substance. Also, there are tons of fillers in "natural" rubbers but the majority of rubber in use today isn't the rubber taken from plants.

dctp

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
Well, pretty strict here!
Thanks for the links guys I've been reading through them and they are giving me many more options than what I originally thought I had.
as I was reading through a thread though... I found a post by good old cosmicfolklore "Overall, I prefer vulcanized rubber. No, it's not a naturally occurring material, but I prefer an awesome smoking experience, as opposed to following some granola ideal of natural. Just my opinion."
funny!

Ha ha, OK, well, I would go into the differences between "naturally occurring" and "natural" and "organic" but I think I will just laugh as I set here tangled in my own semantics, ha ha.

You can like any type of pipe material you want for whatever reason. The real reason that I like Vulcanite, because it's from the planet Vulcan. Live long and prosper.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Spock_vulcan-salute.png

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Wayne Teipen does an all briar....and it's a very nice one....(but there's still a dab of epoxy or CA holding the decorative pieces of the stem together)
http://teipenpipes.com/wp-content/gallery/2014/dsc_1042.jpg
The conversation on relative risks of passing the burning by-products of our favorite tasty yet noxious substance through an organic or inorganic stem material reminds me of the guy who went to the local house of ill repute and decided to forego the usual protective measures because he thought it would be better to go all natural....
Welcome to the forum!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
No fossil fuels were used to make this pipe. This pipe is Organically Certified and contains no petroleum byproducts or genetically modified briar. This hand made pipe was made in a non smoking environment by a non smoker. Carefully selected organically grown briar has been boiled in natural spring water from a holy shrine in France, Lourdes I think, and naturally aged for 10 years in a solar power controlled environment. Pipes were finished with unbleached carnuba non CCD (colony collapse disorder) bee's wax process.
This is a one of a kind hand made pipe and will only be sold to someone arriving for pick up who's form of transportation reflects the spirit of the pipe. Walk.

Mar 1, 2014
I was ordering some stem material a few days ago, a lot of plastics have extreme chemical and water resistance, which I would take over a wooden stem any day when you're going to intentionally fill the thing with tar. And quite frankly worrying about heat in the stem is like worrying about car exhaust making your seat hot, you've got bigger problems if that's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.