PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just turning it over in my mind, I think of seven countries that are major pipe makers.

These would be the U.S.; England; Italy; Denmark; France; Ireland; and Turkey (Meerschaum).

I know there are a number of other countries that manufacture pipes, but not on

the same scale and not exporting so many. Like Germany, The Netherlands, The Czech

Republic, Greece, and others. Is there any other country in the major category? Is it the Big Eight?

Or Nine? Or more?

Aug 1, 2012
It probably doesn't meet the criteria but I would put Japan in the top countries bracket just because of Tsuge and Hiroyuki Tokutomi.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very thoughtful list. Although, aside from Dr. Grabow, who else in the USA is a major producer? There are many artisans and they should be counted if you consider their combined output but I would think that the USA would be 6th on a list. France, Italy, Denmark, England and Ireland would head such a list.

It is an interesting excercise and I'm anxious to hear from the others what their take is on this subject.

Must rest brain now. Ah, there's my pipe and scotch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My list of big seven pipe producing countries wasn't an attempt at putting them in order by

volume produced, and perhaps including the U.S. at all was just national pride, but I think

Dr. Grabow, Missouri Meerschaum, and Benton would qualify the U.S. for the list. Perhaps

Canada should also be on there for Brigham among others, which is a good pipe and widely

exported ( I believe). The U.S. pipe maker Benton is downright elusive. I think they are located

in Texas (or Florida?). They make the house pipes for Iwan Ries, and though sold at low-end

prices, presumably to introduce people to pipe smoking in an encouraging manner, the pipes

are nicely made, good lightweight briar, well crafted and drilled. Because they are sold as

Iwan Ries Exclusives, I call them Chicago Dunhills; they aren't comparable to Dunhills, of course,

but they will make most pipe smokers quite happy. Lots of other countries make good pipes,

though ... Scotland ... others.

metalmilitia

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2013
Kevin has a sticky thread loaded with American pipe makers. not sure how much volume they produce though.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
To me it's not about volume, but about creativity. To me there are the Big 4: Denmark, England, Italy and the US. Each has a distinctive "school" or style (though the lines blur as they cross borders).

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have been lead to believe St. Claude France is more or less the pipe making capital of the world. Is there not something like 5 or 6 makers / carvers in that little town alone? I know of Butz-Choquin, Chacom, Sebastian Beo, and Genod for sure,and I am sure there are more even though I cannot think of them right now.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
To me there is only one country worthy of our attention. USA USA USA USA.
Buy home grown or go home I say.
Seriously though, I think Bigvan has it right with the big 4 in terms of style and quality. I don't think quantity is very important.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am attracted to pipes from the non-major nations, though I don't have any, yet. Hilsons, which are

sort of shared by The Netherlands and Belgium, somehow, are still available. Dutch Big Bens.

Does anyone have the Greek pipe PTM Amadeus, or the high-level version which is just PTM?

There seem to be a lot of less celebrated pipes from "other" nations that are better than average.

I like the international aspect of pipes, though I have a strong representation from the good old

U.S.A. including a Dr. Grabow, a Kaywoodie, MM cobs, and four pipes carved right here in my home

state, two of them of Mountain Laurel. I'm thinking global but shopping local.

Status
Not open for further replies.