PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
I'm thinking of trying my hand at making a pipe.I have a lathe,polishing motors,sanders,and a shop full of woodworking tools.I've watched several youtube videos on pipe making(Mario Grandi).I already have alcohol based stains.I'm wondering where would be the best place to buy the briar,and stem material.Also,do I need to buy other fittings for my lathe.I know unclearthur makes some of the finest looking pipes I've seen,and he's got me itching to try it myself.Thanks in advance...

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
PIMO has pretty good prices and a good selection of stems
http://www.pimopipecraft.com/index.html

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Also check out www.pipemakersforum.com for lots of infornation, but dont make the mistake of asking a question until you've spent about 5 hours searching the site for the answer. They will never let you live it down (tough crowd over there!)

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Pimo is good, Pipemakers Emporium is also excellent. Tim West at JH Lowe has very good prices on briar. He has seconds that work up quite well and are very inexpensive.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I like the book from Pimo. That answers a lot of questions. By the way, don't expect your first pipes to sell. Be content if they burn your tobacco. After you make a few, start being critical of what works and doesn't work.
Winton

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
When I learned woodworking and apprenticed with a furniture maker, I spent the first several months just being the "gopher". Eventually I'd pestered him enough to let me use the machines to actually do something, and he pointed to a pile of wood and told me to make him something. That's it, no instruction, no advice, just told me not to cut my fingers off 'cause he wasn't going to pay for it. I made a small box that a special woman somewhere still treasures. As my skills developed, the next test was to make a chair. I asked him how but he wouldn't tell me; he just crawled up into the rafters and came down with an old dust-covered shaker reproduction that he'd made and told me to replicate it. I measured and felt and pondered over every angle and inch of that chair, and made its twin--of course, it took me about 100 hours, which was not a cost-effective piece, but it was an intense self-education in applying everything I'd learned just by watching him. I could still make that first chair today without taking a single measurement, just from the muscle memory.

So my advice is to reverse-engineer one of your favorite pipes, heel to stem, and just try to replicate it. Sketch it, observe it, feel it, and faithfully execute it. Then repeat. The old masters of any artistic discipline had to first stand on the firmament of the basics before they could strike out and let their hearts guide their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.