PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Has anyone ever noticed that? That the pipe makes you a rather more inviting person than if you were without.
I know 2 instances is a rather small sample size to make that connection, but it's got the mind gears churning about how the pipe works with you as a person.
The first instance was a couple weeks back when I was at a pub. I was out smoking at the establishment's smoking patio, which is adjacent to the sidewalk out front. As I'm smoking my Peterson canadian, this couple walks by, points and smiles at my pipe, give me a high five, and keep on walking. A few minutes later, they were inside the patio with beers in hand, talking to me, and they say, "I hope it's okay we're out here with you. You just looked like such an inviting and interesting person with the pipe and beard." Fun times and they turned out to be cool people. Even bought nachos to share with me.
The second instance was just a few days ago. I've lived next door to this one guy for nearly a year and half already. Usually, when he'd see me, it'd be either walking my dog (he tries to steer clear of our dachshund because dachshunds are really aggressive and our little Elvis was no different from that) or out with my skateboard (probably thought I wasn't much of a nice guy with that). Anyways, most of our talks were nothing but passing by hello's. The other day, I was smoking my Country Gentlemen with some 1Q on my patio when he comes walking by after work. I thought it was just gonna be our usual hello's until he actually struck up a conversation with me. Next thing I know, he's goes inside his place, comes back out to me with beers in hand, and we start talking about his awesome home in Oregon across the Rogue Brewery and about some real cool sight seeing road trips. The only reason, in this instance, it makes me believe the pipe made it easier for him to talk to me was before, when I used to smoke cigars, he'd never stop to talk to me while I was having a stogie.
I could also throw in that while smoking my pipe at my usual b&m lounge, I've noticed a lot more of the folks there talk to me when I'm smoking my pipe than when I used to go there smoking a cigar.
Has anybody ever noticed something similar? I could just be out of my mind...but then again, it is Friday and my mind has completely checked out.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I rarely smoke out in public, but when I did I noticed this too.
I think a pipe conveys an impression of "safe" and "stable." I believe that, for certain generations, that happens because they had a beloved grandparent who smoked a pipe. . . or, in the U.S., they grew up with Fred MacMurray and "My Three Sons," or they think of Sherlock Holmes. Whatever. I think people who have any opinion of pipe smokers at all will tend to think of us as fatherly or wise or, again, safe and stable. (I mean, how many serial killers were pipe smokers?)
That perception will probably change as generations grow up who have never seen anyone smoking a pipe or haven't seen old TV shows/movies.
And, of course, it's likely to change once they actually get to know us. :)
Bob

Dogs do this for me too. When I was single having a dog with you in the park is just like holding up a sign saying that you want to talk to people.
When I take my pipe out into our town festivals, which seems like every weekend here, people bring their kids up to ask em about it, people stop to ask me questions, women compliment it and the aroma. I don't see why anyone would be afraid to take their pipe out into public... unless they are latakia smokers, and then I would even step aside, lol.
Now on the other hand, set down with a book, and you become completely invisible. I wonder what would happen if you sat down with a book and a pipe. Would they cancel each other out?

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
1Q in a Country Gentlemen... I'd talk to you too... I love that combo.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
There does seem to be something in this. Here in the UK it is very rare to see a pipe smoker in these modern times and when people see me with mine it seems to have the same affect and a well mannered good morning with a confident smile.
Women seem fond of the pipe and are far more forward in making conversation with me when I am pondering with mine. Men my age (32) and below have a slightly different reaction. Some seem a little baffled by it at first but generally the response is a positive one.
It really does seem to have the affect of cheering people up when they see and smell it.
However there is the odd cretin with the pseudo cough 10 yards from me, but I am a direct sort of chap who has no problem pointing out to these walnut brained muppets which direction the wind is blowing. This very rarely is in their direction. There is always one isn't there?
James

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Occasionally I'll smoke a pipe at one of the local parks along one of the rivers or by the lake. There have been a couple times where I was approached by someone who will strike up a conversation relating to the pipe. The pipe either reminds them of a time when they smoked a pipe or when a family member (usually dad or uncle) used to smoke a pipe. You can see it reminds them of good memories and puts a smile on their face.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I've had this happen quite a bit when I am at rest stops, traveling for work. I'll walk around to stretch my legs with my pipe, and often get people talking to me. I also notice this effect when I see another pipe smoker. I have to go say hi to them, and find out what they are smoking. I guess in that regards I see pipe smokers as more approachable. I have also noticed at parties that my pipe smoking gets me a lot of positive attention, and I am often not relegated to the "smoking section". Good conversation starter as well.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
When the girlfriend and I are out for a walk, she notices people checking me out when I have the pipe clenched, but very rarely have I actually been approached.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
The pipe may make one look more approachable but the 6'4, shaved head, and angry (I'm not, just my natural expression) expression quickly overpowers that urge. lol My wife is always telling me "Put on your happy face, your scaring the children".

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
So it seems like we can all agree that pipe adds a different characteristic to ourselves than if we were without it. I like this.

stiivn

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
I live in a very odd part of the world where people simply don't have these sort of grandfathery reminiscent feelings because pipes were never part of the folk culture. I notice the very rare pipe smokers checking each other out though. You could call it homoerotic, but it isn't as far as I can discern. There are a few pubs with streetside seating areas in summer near Helsinki university where groups of young pipemen accumulate after five o'clock. One of them is my favorite dive. It plays heavy metal but not too loud. When I know I'm going to end up there in the evening I take along one of my more flamboyant or oversize pipes and saunter out to light up. I pretend not to take any notice but I can see all the guys watching closely.
I really shouldn't tease them.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I use my pipe or a cigar to repel people, mosquitoes, and other pests when I am working one of favorite haunts which is a marsh located in a sanctuary. The area draws tourists and they think nothing of invading your space, walking in front of the lens, starting conversations, etc. So, I keep myself wreathed in smoke and that keeps the interruptions to a minimum.
After reading this though I may go exclusively with the cigars. Perhaps what few interruptions I do get are caused by the pipe and not people being really rude and unthinking. I will experiment when the ice thaws and the terns return. Terns are a real tourist magnet, hard to take a bad picture of a tern.

Status
Not open for further replies.