PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Ok so I have been making pipes for awhile and I use a high grade Carnuaba Wax, I use two wheels one to apply it and one to polish it, do any of you guys who make pipes do anything else to your wax coat to make it last longer?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yep. If you've got two wheels don't worry about loading up your first wheel pretty heavy with carnauba. The second wheel will take off the excess, just be sure to clean the final wheel from time to time so wax doesn't build up. To clean it take a scrap piece of wood an shove it into the wheel so the corner of the wood catches the extra wax.

Do everything the way you do now, except load your wax wheel pretty heavy, lay wax on the pipe pretty heavy, and then heat the whole thing with a heat gun just enough to melt the wax. It will seep into the pores better.

After the pipe has cooled, buff and polish it again to take off excess.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
If you have note seen the YouTube video "How I clean and restore an estate pipe" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-NNPc-twdQ) by Homewaters1, he does a basic restoration of 2 pipes with some great tips. One tip is the way you put the carnauba wax on the surface: firm pressure on the first coat(s) followed by a lighter touch with subsequent coats. This produces a better lasting surface shine. This is probably not news to most but might help...

Status
Not open for further replies.