Pipe Makers: Is it hard make a smooth rim on sandblast?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Today, I had a pipe maker tell me that he tried to make a sandblast finish pipe with a smooth rim, but that it didn't turn out so he sandblasted the rim instead. I don't know a lot about making pipes, but does this make any sense? It seems to me like having a smooth rim would be simple- even if you jacked the rim up while sandblasting the bowl, you could just sand the rim smooth again. Is it more complicated then that?

mephistopheles

Oct 14, 2014
I think you're right. I'm not a pipe maker so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that as long as there is enough material to keep playing with you can always sand something smooth.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
It' s simple- You stick a cork in the tobacco chamber and blast at an a slight upward angle so the blast doesn't touch the smooth rim. You'll get a little minor bounce back that requires touchup with a fine grit, but that's it…The only reason for having to blast the rim would be if you screw up and blast too much off the upper edge leaving a ragged circle at the top…in which case, the reputable pipe makers wouldn't sell it, but would just add it to their collection of shop pipes….…

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would just cover the area I didn't want blasted with a couple of layers of electric or vinyl tape.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
It may just be a miscommunication. Some pipe makers' standards are very high when it comes to sandpits and flaws. He may have meant that he shot for a smooth rim but there were flaws in the briar so he had to sandblast it. If a pipemaker said what you described to me, that's how I would interpret it if they were a reputable maker.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Otherwise, no, a smooth rim on a sandblasted pipe isn't all that difficult to do. Getting a piece of briar that cooperates and gives you a flawless rim is a bit more difficult.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
It may just be a miscommunication. Some pipe makers' standards are very high when it comes to sandpits and flaws. He may have meant that he shot for a smooth rim but there were flaws in the briar so he had to sandblast it. If a pipemaker said what you described to me, that's how I would interpret it if they were a reputable maker.
Turns out, this is exactly what happened. Thanks for the thoughts all...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I would just cover the area I didn't want blasted with a couple of layers of electric or vinyl tape.
The purpose of sandblasting is to remove material, ergo... there goes the electrical tape.
If someone tried to sand blast my rim I would punch him on the nose!
Had my rim sandblasted back in 1967 by a... never mind, but I survived (not at all sure about her anymore). :lol:

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thought that was going to be a war story, phil67. Well come to think of it, maybe it was. :lol:

mkelaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2012
There's nothing hard about it. When you're blasting near the rim you simply blast with the chamber & rim facing away from the blasting gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.