PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcnc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Hello all. I am new to pipes and pipe smoking and this forum. I have found pipes, pipe making, tobacco and other facets of pipe smoking to be quite fascinating. My wife and I have started traveling the US in the fall and winter months and I have been collecting whiskey and rum's from local distillers along the way. Now, enjoying the art of pipes and ocassional pipe smoking, I would like to also search for pipe makers by state, so that I can start to collect pipes I like as I travel. But, so far have found no database of pipe makers organized by state. Does anyone know of a pipe maker database that can be sorted by state? I am aware of the alphabetical USA list at pipedia but not many others. Thanks, and I look forward to learning. ScottCNC

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I was going to send you to pipedia for reference!
I know of no other database.
I can tell you that Jeremiah Sandahl, Kris Edwin Barber, Rich Lewis and myself are in Minnesota.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Skip-
Are you in Canada? I ask as I am heading to Toronto, then North to a fishing camp. It'd be great if there were a carver on the way.... And sorry, I know of no data base on locations. Texas is well represented by Ryan Alden and others; we have Cooke in VT, and my brain just ran out the door, but that's a modest start...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Clark Layton -- PA
Mark Price -- MO
Scottie Piersel -- MO
Abe Herbaugh -- VT
Nate King -- IN
Michael Lindner -- IN
Jesse Jones -- OH
Jeff Gracik -- CA
Todd Johnson -- TN
Bruce Weaver -- TN
Steve Morrisette -- TN
Premal Chheda -- OH
Joe Hinkle -- IN
Jerry Crawford just moved to OR a few weeks ago (the web will doubtless show him in AZ for a while, though)
Ernie Markle -- AZ
Pete Prevost -- TN
Steve Norse -- VT
Mark Tinsky -- MT
Tim West -- OH
Walt Cannoy -- FL
Victor Rimkus -- NM
Nathan Rimkus -- NM
Scott Thile -- KY
Bill Shalosky -- TN
Joe Nelson -- WI
Brad Pohlmann -- OR
Alex Florov -- IL
Scott Klein -- TN
Jim Cooke -- VT
Tyler Beard -- OK
Lee Von Erck -- MI

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice, George! Looks like VT and TN win based on number of carvers per population; CA is last.....
~ From 107º in Yolo County, CA.

scottcnc

Lurker
Jun 28, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Thanks to all who contributed feedback and added your location. George thanks for the long list to start things off in a big way!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Michael Butera - Texas

Ryan Alden - Texas

Colin Rigsby - Texas

Randy Krempp - Texas

Bill Walther - Texas

Ron Fairchild - Texas

Jesse Jones - Texas

Bob Gilbert - Texas

David Jones - Texas

Rex Walden - Texas

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Dan Chlebove of Gabrieli Pipes in Bethlehem, Pa. I have 5 of his pipes and they are stellar. Here are a couple.
3ELCgPJ.jpg

tHtVNQm.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Pipestud --
Ron stopped making pipes quite a while back, and Jesse moved to Ohio two years ago. (The PipeWiki thing is out of date)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
[/quote]Pipestud --
Ron stopped making pipes quite a while back, and Jesse moved to Ohio two years ago. (The PipeWiki thing is out of date) - Georged
I may be wrong, but when I talked with Jesse at the KC Show, I think he had married and moved back to Texas (where he belongs). As for Fairchild, he is not retired. But, he is not making many pipes anymore. In fact, I learned of that at the KC Show too, while visiting with Lane Tand, who is a good friend of Ron's and they are both members o the Houston Pipe Club. So, for now, I'm keeping both of them on my list! :wink:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I may be wrong, but when I talked with Jesse at the KC Show, I think he had married and moved back to Texas (where he belongs).
I agree that he'll always LOOK like a Hollywood Texan, but he's definitely not moved back. Currently in Columbus, OH wit da wifey (who likes it there). Makes pipes in batches at the Briar Lab in Indianapolis while waiting for his shop stuff to arrive FROM Texas. (Confused yet? :lol: )
Anyway, ya gotta accept your loss like a man, Pipestud. You guys can't have the biggest and best of everything ALL the time, you know. :wink:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Yep...and there are 4 in Florida:

Walt Cannoy

Perry White

Bob Swanson

...and me (I'm the only one who makes ribs when someone comes and visits in the shop...)

Status
Not open for further replies.