Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview tonight is with pipe maker Scottie Piersel. A few weeks ago at the Kansas City Pipe Show, I inadvertently bought one of her pipes. There were about 40 pipes on a table that were entrants into the 7-day set contest that focused on the billiard shape. Of all of the pipes, I liked hers the best and bought it. I was pleasantly surprised to find out afterwards that the pipe was made by a woman. In our "Pipe Parts" segment, Brian will talk about the preeminent freehand pipe maker, the late Preben Holm.
scottie-p.jpg

scottie-pipe.jpg

May 31, 2012
Cool.
& man!

...I can understand why you picked that billiard!
A perfect execution of the shape and some of the straightest straightgrain ever!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I really enjoyed the very short visit I had with Scottie during the Saturday night dinner. She is passionate and articulate (not to mention extremely talented in her craft). I was highly impressed by her work and I suspect we'll be hearing more about this fine lady's work in the future. And, she is also a member of this forum - so, she's gotta be smart!
Pipestud

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
I loved the Pipe Parts segment about Preben Holm. I have heard a lot about his pipes but never had the opportunity to get one. After hearing the history, I will have to make it a priority to get one.
The interview with Scotti was interesting. I love hearing about up and coming pipe makers and hearing how they got started. She seems like she is a busy gal. It is refreshing to see newer pipe makers creating pipes in the classical shapes. There is just something about a straight billiard that is just inticing.
That is the beauty of this show. Information about the long history of manufacturers and the introduction of the new artisans and the common pipe smoker may have never heard of before. I guess that is why I need to drag my sorry butt to a pipe show!
About the rant; I think it sucks that the "powers that be" deem it necessary to protect us from ourselves. Fifty years ago there weren't near the number of "product censorships" we have today. That generation didn't turn out so bad, did they? And I agree, Brian. What is good for the goose is good for the gander!

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
With a hobby like ours that has a deep and vast history of dusty old men (not you Brian), it's so nice to hear a young woman making big waves (with the sharks hehe). I've seen Scottie around the forums and the beautiful pipes on her website as well but it's always nice to put a voice to a....pipe. While some my bash the internet for all its shortcomings....Scottie was able to pursue a dream thanks to the wonderful individuals on the Pipe Makers Forum and their generous help. Great interview, yet again Brian.
Brian, any chance you and the gang will be making it over to my neck of the woods for the Tokyo Pipe Show in December? C'mon, think of all the frequent flyer miles you can get :D
Eagerly awaiting next week's episode.
Andrew in Japan.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I just listened to the podcast. Thanks for posting the shark pic, Scottie, I was totally into that segment and trying to imagine how it looked! Great show and very interesting, as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.