Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview on The Pipes Magazine Radio Show tonight is with Pipe Maker Jonathan Lavezzo. Jonathan has taken his experiences as a pipe smoker, woodworker, and cabinet maker to be able to offer some of the most reasonably priced handmade pipes one can buy. In "Pipe Parts", Brian will talk about how to date a Dunhill pipe ... and not in a romantic way.
Jonathan-Lavezzo.jpg

Pipe Maker Jonathan Lavezzo​

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for another good show, and the introduction to another new (to me at least) carver.
I have enjoyed watching the growth and development of the boutique pipe maker over the last three years. While I know the industry is older and more storied, I've only been an observer since 2012. Over this time I've seen the explosion of social media as a marketing tool, and simultaneous community builder with the growth of the YouTube and Instagram pipe maker/smoker community.
This has lead to a small 'celebrity' status being applied to some carvers and retailers, but also has expanded the market for pipes to a younger and more wired audience. Yes, this has also lead to newer carvers selling artisan pipes at the same prices as established carvers... but it has also lead to the nurturing and evolution of new talent.
One evolution that I've noted and wondered about is the number of carvers and small factories, like Johnathan, that are making hand made or hand finished pipes at 'affordable' prices. I think this has the potential to open the market, and look forward to trying out some of these pipes. I have one of Chris Morgan's Blackjack pipes on order, and have looked longingly at some of the Icarus and Neptune pipes since May. With Chris Askwith doing hand finished pipes, and Wayne Teipen selling entry level pipes things are looking good for folks that want a quality pipe at sub $200 pricing.
-- Pat

revpipe

Lurker
Aug 10, 2014
Oviedo, FL
I have been listening to the show for about a year now. Look forward to it every week. One of the best interviews of a down to earth pipe maker in my estimation. Thanks. Looking forward to adding one of his pipes to my collection.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just started following Moonshine Pipes on Instagram. He has some very nice work posted on there. Even if you're not into social media Instagram is a very good one because there are a lot of carvers on there posting their work and usually linking their website or listing a contact info for commissions or purchasing.
The poker is a shape that's grown on me and it seems on the hobby in general over the last couple years. I finally picked up my first this year at the West Coast Pipe Show. It's a wonderful one made by Don Warren out of New Mexico. To me it's just a great clenching shape that a lot of artisan carvers do very well.
image20-600x600.jpg

I'm thankful for this radio show. Keep up the great work on it and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I have five pipes from Jonathan Lavezzo, all very recently acquired. Guess the secret is out!
He makes awesome devil anse shaped pipes extremely well, and affordable - usually about $100. Several of mine were less than that. Good briar, German ebonite stem material, delrin tennon - everything is cut and shaped out on his lathe, hand sanded, no moulded pre-fab stems.
He works out of an 8x10 shed, with plans to upgrade soon. Last time I chatted with him he says he's been making 3-4 pipes per day (16 hour long days), and he gets orders for twice his capacity pretty much every day.
He does a fair bit to support the Troops too. I proudly smoke his pipes for that reason. He gives out discounts to all active duty and veterans as well.
Quality to price ratio - can't be beat. Certainly not for *any* brand new pipe. The bowl interior also is uncoated, which I prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.