Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Our Featured Interview tonight is with pipe maker Joe Nelson. Joe has been making pipes for nearly 10-years. His pipes come in all shapes and styles from the standard classics to the extremely artistic. Joe is also a luthier, repairing and making custom guitars. In the "Pipe Parts" segment Brian will give you some great pointers on traveling with pipes and tobaccos. There are some important tips that will keep these prized possessions safe.
Joe Nelson

joe-nelson.jpg

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
Another great interview. As a guitar player, how can a pipe made by a guitar luthier NOT be an outstanding and beautiful pipe? The intricacies involved in making a precision instrument like an acoustic guitar are being applied to a pipe must smoke like a dream.
Does anyone here have one of Joe's pipes? I would love to hear your experiences with his pipes.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
BigVan introduced me to Joe at the Columbus show about three ago and I have been a big fan of his work ever since. I currently have three of his pipes and would like to add a few more someday. The first two I purchased direct from Joe and the third I picked up as an estate. They all smoke great, but the first one pictured is my current favorite. IMO his workmanship and attention to detail is send to none. BTW... the pipe BigVan uses as his avatar is a very special pipe created by Joe.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
BigVan introduced me to Joe at the Columbus show about three ago and I have been a big fan of his work ever since. I currently have three of his pipes and would like to add a few more someday. The first two I purchased direct from Joe and the third I picked up as an estate. They all smoke great, but the first one pictured is my current favorite. IMO his workmanship and attention to detail is send to none. BTW... the pipe BigVan uses as his avatar is a very special pipe created by Joe
Now I am going to have to invest in one of his pipes. They are gorgeous.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a couple of Joe's pipes and love them both. I will definitely be looking for him at the Chicago show and hope he is there.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
JC, you have THREE Old Nellie's now? That's more than I have. I should probably do something about that.
But the pipe in my avatar is actually by Brad Pohlman. The one you're thinking of was mentioned in the podcast; the "panel dog" that Joe entered in the Kansas City Pipe Show a few years back. It's right here and it's MINE:

And this my first Old Nellie. One of the first pipes Joe ever sold at a pipe show (or so he told me).

Status
Not open for further replies.