PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had forgotten that I have half a dozen 1946 issues of "Pipe Lovers Magazine" in my drop-box.

You can download copies here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ei76pic6mx2jyw/AABbr6Aodozz8y1-0FGIecMMa?dl=0

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Great stuff, Al. Thanks.
The July 1946 issue has one of my favorite articles. Bing Crosby talking about his pipes. Great read.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Outstanding Effort, Thanks! I'd like to get a set of Pipe Lovers sometime. I seem to recall seeing a book bound version at a show years ago. Does this ring a bell with anyone. 8O

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Just read the January 1946 issue. Very interesting reading. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool! Thanks Al. I just flipped through a few issues. It's interesting to see how some of the lore and assumptions about pipes may have been spread around.

They were just about as tongue and cheek as we are today.

cartoon_zpsbxl37wdy.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not sure why those were hiding in my files, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

I believe several years are stored on the Pipes & Tobacco's magazine website. You have to join their web list and then you'll have access to numerous years.
I scanned an editorial from one issue last year, about how a pipe smoker would never want to smoke a pipe that had belonged to someone else. The times, they are a'changin!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks very much for access to those. Some fascinating articles in those scans. My favorite so far is the pipe that Tracy Mincer had carved for presentation Stalin! At the time it was valued at $1000.00. That's nearly $11,000. in today's money.
Incidentally, I recently watched a documentary on the American Communist Party. Stalin would meet with the American communist officials, but only if they brought him a one pound tin of Edgeworth tobacco.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@snagstangl - I knew someone had sent them, but I couldn't remember exactly where they were from.

Did I have it correct - there are more available at the Pipes& Tobacco website?

Status
Not open for further replies.