Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Logs

(19 posts)
  1. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone keep a pipe log? If so what all do you put in it? I have been putting mine in a spiral notebook for years . Just brand name, model , style, when purchased and how much I paid. Does anyone else have a better method? Is there a pipe log out there? Just curious. Thanks in advance .

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep an Excel Spreadsheet of my tobacco, including notes, personal ratings, composition of blend, and some other things.
    However; I do keep one pipe log:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. teufelhund

teufelhund

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. - Irish Proverb
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. dalby

dalby

Login to Send PM

I carry around a little notebook that I record all my pipe-related thoughts in. the date, which tobacco I smoked in which pipes, prices of pipes and tobaccos, things I've learned about the history of pipes and tobacco and pipe culture etc. as a way to just enjoy the hobby more, and eventually to look back and laugh at what a greenhorn I used to be

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've kept a log for several years including the name of the tobacco, the date the tin is opened, the number of bowls I get out of the tin (a hash mark each time I smoke) and the date I finish the tin. I do it mainly so I can estimate how much I smoke and how much I should cellar.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I created an excel spreadsheet which allows me to log the pipes I buy and sell.

I use it to track the following data: Picture, Maker, Origin Country, Pipe Marks, Stem Marks, Weight, bowl height, bowl width, chamber depth, chamber width, total length, shape, finish, stem material, stinger/filter/condenser, condition, price paid, price sold.

My family thinks I'm a little bit but it helps me keep track of what I'm spending, and what's coming back in. It let's me truly tell if my hobby is paying for itself.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. tamer291

tamer291

Login to Send PM

Wow Lawrence.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep Irish, I do the very same thing! I also keep a tobacco log kinda like Lawrence does.

Oh, by the way Lawrence, I love the " pipe log", or should I say log pipe!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just keep track of my pipes and tobacco in a word document. It works for me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep track of my pipes and baccy in the cabinet, or the computer desk, or the counter, or the drawer, or the shelf, or the glove compartment in the truck, etc.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm so disorganized that I'm happy just to know where my pipes are!

Allan
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. lincolnsbark

lincolnsbark

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep an excel spreadsheet with the tobaccos listed on top and then the pipes a little lower. I list all of my smokes with a date and a note below each pipe so I know how long each has been resting and what is better with what.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. irish

Gary

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the pipe log Lawrence !! Thanks guys I may try to do a spreadsheet but I am not the best at computer stuff , never turns out the way I want it to ! I have been smoking and collecting now for over twenty years and I'm still surprised at how much I learn every day about pipes and pipe history .

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember seeing one on ebay that looked like a daily planner on the out side, and then had extensive questionaire style info sheets on the inside, cant seem to find it now. I considered getting it at the time, but of course didn't.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. bobpnm

bobpnm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lawrence! Walk softly and carry a BIG pipe!

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I feel like I track and document a lot of business, so I conscientiously avoid logging my pipe smoking sessions. I do like
    the idea of logging in at least pipe purchases. At least in recent years, I might be able to do that by digging out invoices.
    The tobacco comes and goes. I don't want to track it, though I may have regrets now and then. I do write my home
    mixes (blends) in my calendar, just in case I forget what all went in a good batch.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. dennisfbird

dennisfbird

Login to Send PM

Impressive all. I'm too lazy to do all that. I walk up to my pipe stand, look longingly at a pipe, pick it out, stuff it full of whichever baccy is handy. Go sit on the deck, light it, tamp it and watch the humming birds.....
    Hey, I'm old and very retired..... I smoke to think, relax and get a nicotine jolt. Pleasure, to me, doesn't involve a lot of details.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. rockymtnsmoker

rockymtnsmoker

Login to Send PM

On occasion, I sit on a log to smoke a pipe. I also have a file folder with purchase info and pix... plus a notebook I keep for pipe noodlings and recording pipe trivia/history, etc.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

I had the idea of logging both my pipes and tobacco in a grad journal of discovery, from what I bought and when to the taste at various ages etc. To this day I have one entry, the very first...

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   3rdguy, pitchfork, burleyboy