PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Anyone else have a pipe that "marries up" to Plum Pudding like that? If so, what else would likely work, too? I'll put them on my next order.
I bought a pipe that retails at about $200. I have several less expensive styles by the same manufacture. Much as I'm in love with its looks and its feel -- I didn't like the way it smoked. I was about to put it up on eBay.
-- But a couple days ago, it was the cleanest pipe handy. So... I slipped in some Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding, and lo and behold, a match!!!
Love the way Plum Pudding smokes in it.
Now, since I'm superficially enamored with the pipe's aesthetics, and I've been able to match *one* tobacco to it, I'd like to match others.
Suggestions for tobaccos that might also work in this king-sized (7/8" wide by 1 1/2" deep or so (22 x 38 mm) flawless thick-walled briar bowl slightly bent pipe with wide draw? In size, it's like my Sav 320 and my older Sav billiard. Like the 320, this one's a conversion pipe.
Pups
-

Oh dang it -- should have mentioned what I didn't care for in it due to excessive moisture and problems getting an even, consistent burn, or ashy-ness, or just constantly smothering out in spite of all kinds of tweaks on how I fill it, how I smoke it, whether I use a filter, what kind of filter I use. It was to the point where the next step was setting up a laboratory to carefully catalog each variable I changed.
Pipe shouldn't be *that* difficult, right? I was disappointed in these, though they are standards for me in my other pipes:
- Captain Black. Not so good.

- Prince Albert. Eh, not so much.

- Stanwell vanilla. No.

- Savinelli vanilla. Hey... not too bad, but better in every other pipe I have.

- Molto Dulce. Okay, but... Relight. Relight. Relight... prefer in my others.

- Comoy Cask No. 1. No. Very ashy. Fine ash repeatedly smothers it. Tilt, tilt, tilt. Dump.

- Home made blend of Virginia, Latakia, Perique. Almost.

- Crown Achievement. No.
So I was surprised by the Plum Pudding. Maybe it's just this sample, but I'm not going to sell this pretty pipe if I find a set of tobaccos that smoke this well in it. No moisture. Long, slow, even, tasty cool burn. Flavor is wonderful. Smoking it right now and just about out of Plum Pudding, ordering more.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I love Plum Pudding. It is my favorite blend but I only smoke it once in a while, kind of like a treat. I have an Aldo Velani bent dublin that smokes Plum Pudding so well, it just sings. It smokes it so well that I dedicated it to Plum Pudding. As far as blends that might be similar, I would try Mississippi Mud from C & D, Frog Morton on the Bayou. I'm sure there are others that fit the bill, but these two come mind.

bowler1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2013
Williamsburg, VA
That is another one that has been on my list to try...it is now moving up and will probably be on the next order. Seems a lot of people really like it.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
Based upon your liking PP, and the listing of what you didn't particularly care for, it looks like you may favor the lighter, almost cross-over English blends. I would also suggest Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River, Frog Morton on the Town, maybe the original Frog Morton, Bald Headed Teacher (not really an English, but a nice fringe blend), Shortcut to Mushrooms (again, not a real English, but nice mixture with Latikia), and, if you want to venture into more traditional English, My Mixture 965 or GL Pease's Westminster, and venturing even deeper, Lagonda.
Welcome to the wonderful world of English/Balkan's!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Okay. I think I'm on to something. I tried Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices. Winner. I didn't rub them out, just shaped them into better circles and layered them in tight.
This bowl likes denser tobaccos. Fill it just tight enough to pull a little harder on the draw than I usually do. Leave more room at top than usual to allow for expansion.
I think we're good to go.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Although it's a VaPer rather than a lat-based mix, I find Dunhill DNR is a great leveller that has 'resurrected' a number of my pipes. It's easy to handle, is consistent and tastes really good. If the Newminster coins are working for you in this pipe, give the DNR a go?
Andy

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Just curious, what is the brand? Savinelli, Peterson? If you don't feel comfortable posting it to the public, send me a PM. It's probably in my head, but I have found certain pipes like certain types of blends and/or cuts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.