PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lessechler

Lurker
Jul 10, 2009
Like most of you, I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find the perfect pipe lighter, while at the same time not spending more than a max of $30. Without question, the best lighters I have owned have been the Old Boy and Dupont lighters but they are way to expensive for most people. I then tried out perhaps 20 different type butane lighters that can be bound on ebay for around $5 - $10 each, with those being sent direct from China in most cases and the price including postage. Like all cheap lighters one does not expect then to last very long and in most cases they don't. But, in some cases they last years - go figure. WARNING - I have found that the $50 - $80 lighters to not last any longer than the cheap Chinese lighters, so I stopped buying them. I refer to Colibri, Lotus and similar brands. Then I found the perfect pipe lighter at a very affordable price. In France there is a lighter company called Djeep. The company makes several style of lighters and one of them if for pipes. I got my first one at a pipe shop and the quality is three or four times as good as a Bic lighter, and they are refillable and they are larger so they hold more butane than a Bic. At around $8 they are just the best out there for people who do not wish to pay big bucks for lighters. Currently I have five Dupont lighters, all of which I use for cigar lighting. Two dunhills, six Old Boys and a host of cheap Chinese lighters to meet my needs - but the Djeep is the one to get if you want low cost and reliability, of that I am certain.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I use my trust Zippo with the Pipe upgrade. I keep a Bic Butane in my "emergency kit" and with several boxes of kitchen matches on hand for smoking out on the back deck. But by and large I use my Zippo 98% of the time, and I really don't ever think of looking for anything else.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I find the Xikar Scribe lighter to fit my needs perfectly. I love the shape and it fits in my pockets well without getting in the way. The only negative is that the fuel tank is rather small. Or maybe my Ronson fuel is really just THAT bad. But it's a great lighter for around $35 shipped from Amazon.
Just my $0.02. :puffpipe:

Jul 12, 2011
Zippo-Zippo & Zippo every time ;-) can send any model into them

and they will fit it with a pipe insert free of charge...reminds me

I have to send in a Harley lighter I got while touring the York, PA

location...just amazing that they produce something like 6 or

so model bikes from one line...just amazing

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Scribe lighter +1, and yes the tank is small. I have tried 4several different fuels.

Jeff

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
As far as I am concerned the only pipe lighter is the Zippo one with the pipe insert and a black can of standard Zippo fuel, just love it :puffy:

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
A good lighter is a necessity. After using lesser lighters I use two: A Dunghill Unique at home and a solid brass Zippo pipe lighter. Both are built like tanks and will outlast me. I have a friend who used a Nimrod lighter for 40 years until it was stolen last summer.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Okay, this might be dumb but I'm going to ask it anyway: Am I understanding that Zippo will convert a regular lighter into a pipe lighter for free? I've got several and they've always been my preferred method of lighting but none are pipe lighters.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I have used Djeep lighters before, but only for lighting cigarettes not for pipe smoking. Maybe I will look into the other lighters that they have.

Jul 15, 2011
Okay, this might be dumb but I'm going to ask it anyway: Am I understanding that Zippo will convert a regular lighter into a pipe lighter for free? I've got several and they've always been my preferred method of lighting but none are pipe lighters.
You are correct. The only thing that you will pay is the shipping charge to send it to the Zippo company. Sometimes, the repair can take a little while to finish and for them to send it back to you if they have a lot of repairs on their hands, but they will take your lighter, pop a pipe lighter insert into it, and ship not only the lighter with the new insert but will also send you back your old insert along with it. When I sent mine off for the repair, the good folks at Zippo not only did the work but also included two extra flints and a really nice brochure along with a lot of their products. I have also called the Zippo company on a few different occasions and they are very nice people, great to deal with.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I use the trusty bic...Ive tried the zippo with the pipe insert and it doesn't work for me (migh thave to give it another try) I also have a Colibri pipe lighter that I like, it's nice and hefty. I want to get a Im Corona, but I don't think spending 100 bucks on a lighter is worth it...I'd rather buy a 100 dollar pipe...Just my opinion

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I love my Old Boys, but I always keep a few Djeeps in the drawer. They're very reliable, adjustable and work well outside. Iwan Ries has them for $2 each:

https://www.iwanries.com/djeep-P6862C528.cfm

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I've always liked the DJeep lighters whether it's just the quirky name or something else, I don't know, but they make a decent lighter and they last forever.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've used a couple different pipe lighters. A few were regular Vector angle flamed lighters and those malfunctioned within a year or so. Earlier in the year I ordered a Vertigo Old Boy style lighter, $30, and it's worked wonderfully. My only complaint of it is I can't figure out how to angle the flame to keep it from blackening the crossbar the strikes the flint. Also, I do keep a small box of matches in my pipe pouch just incase I run out of fuel in my lighter.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have the Xikar Pipeline($50). It's really pretty but since I smoke outside it gets tough to light in the wind. I just picked up a Zippo with the standard Zippo Pipe lighter insert($20) and it works terrific in the wind. However, for those calm evenings my trusty Bic($1) is the one I reach for most.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Tried the DJeep lighter on vacation and in windy conditions, it didn't work, plus being hard to roll the striker wheel....I'm not a fan of them, but it got through Airport Security well.

Status
Not open for further replies.