Pipes Magazine » Pipes Accessories

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe lighters

(42 posts)
  1. smoker

smoker

Login to Send PM

This may have already been asked, but what is a good lighter that doesn't run dry of fuel too quick. I have both a flint and electronic which is the 1 that requires refilling more often than not.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I fill my zippo every 10 days or so, and a bic lasts me a good 4-5 months.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. smoker

smoker

Login to Send PM

Hi marmalade i did have a brass zipo once but now can't find it anywhere must have lost it somewhere shame as it was one given to me when i 1st started smoking pipe about 20 years ago but gave up before restarting it is in this time it has gone missing. I suppose i'll have to invest in another 1.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a few Zippos, you can never go wrong with them! To keep them full as long as possible, don't keep them in your pockets, and keep them upright as much as possible! Pleased to make your acquaintance Mr. Smoker, sir!

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. mjtannen

mjtannen

Login to Send PM

Marma14de: My pocket carries what yours does minus the pink rope. I always depend upon my zippo but also my BIC backup. I also use the BIC to relight deeeeep into my oom pauls as I tamp waaaay down toward the bottom of the bowl for the last best relight.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is my outside bic, it's secured to my patio furniture by about 700 half hitches, and secured to the lighter with simple whipping, makes sure there is always a lighter when I need one!

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a Zippo fan. Love the history, hate the taste.

I just ordered one of these Fujima Arroa Soft Flame.

That is a GREAT lighter site because it has videos of most of the lights and free shipping.

ETA: Love the mini-marlinspike work marmal4de

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. docgarr

docgarr

Login to Send PM

There is a BIC-like lighter called the sidewinder (I believe). It looks like a BIC, but it has a an adjustable nozzle on it that goes from a right angle to straight up. And I believe it is refillable. And they are less that $2. But they are hard to find.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. antipodesman

antipodesman

Login to Send PM

What is this myth about the taste of Zippo fluid? I have been using the black can of Zippo fluid and do not detect any significant taste. Perhaps other brands have the despised taste.
    I'm pretty sure the sidewinder is out of production. It may have been dubinthedam that reviewed them a year or so ago. They did seem to be excellent but I have never seen one. Anyway they don't seem to be available online. I think there is a similar one that is more expensive that goes by the same name.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know a lot of guys are very content with Zippos and don't detect any taste. To be honest, maybe what I get isn't really taste but smell. But they're pretty closely related. So the sensation for me is that I'm tasting a hydrocarbon.

It's a shame, because it is the classic American lighter, they are super wind resistant, the flame temp is perfect for pipes, and I have the one my Dad carried in the war. I'd love to use it, but just cannot.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get no taste from My zippo just smell, but I like the smell. Where can I find a pipe insert for My zippo?

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Where can I find a pipe insert for My zippo?

Send your zippo back to the factory with a request for a pipe insert. They'll give you one gratis and send your old insert back as well!
    Zippo Repair Clinic
    1932 Zippo Drive
    Bradford, PA 16701

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. zunismoke

zunismoke

Login to Send PM

I use mostly Old Boy. A fill will last me 3-4 days.

May your hands always be busy, May your feet always be swift. May you have a strong foundation When the winds of changes shift.
    May your heart always be joyful, and may your song always be sung, May you stay forever young! Bob Dylan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. shimrra

shimrra

Login to Send PM

I went out and bought a zippo pipe lighter and so far i love it. on my cheaper pipe it works great, but i can't draw hard enough on my newest pipe to get the flame drawn down to re-light it. other than that, it works good, and using that i actually have to re-light less!
    i did however run out of fuel in 3 days lol

i'm also thinking of taking it to an engraver and getting the little pipe etched on the opposite side, and on the top instead

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. bootlegbonvivant

bootlegbonvivant

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't care for my zippo for lighting my pipes. I used to use a Colibri, but have learned that their quality isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Recently, got a Vector Dupla pipe lighter that also has a cigar torch lighter in it. Great pipe so far. After using mine, ended up getting Cyndi one as well. I tried a different shape, but she didn't like it as much as mine.

Here's a link for them if interested.
    Vector Dupla lighters on lightersdirect.com

Southerners don't talk slow because they're dumb, we do it because there's really no rush.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. fatman

fatman

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, for the input marmal4de Ill do that.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. nathaniel

Nathaniel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I primarily use a Xikar Pipeline... it works wonders, and looks just like the Corona old boys but a 3rd of the price! And with lifetime guarantee!

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. bubblehead

bubblehead

Login to Send PM

At home I use the Old Boy I broke down and purchased and it's a great lighter, but not outside; for that I use my brass zippo, or for nostalgia sake I'll use the old Nimrod I got for Christmas more years than I care to remember.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. shimrra

shimrra

Login to Send PM

lol, anyone ever notice BIC lighters are made in france?!

also, i had someone tell me the other day my zippo fuel was poisonous and it would kill me using it LOL

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. fhb2532

fhb2532

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

DON'T DRINK THE ZIPPO FLUID!!!!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

DON'T DRINK THE ZIPPO FLUID!!!!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. smoker

smoker

Login to Send PM

hahahaha i'll try not to but i thought it was a brand of russian vodka or rocket fuel hahaha

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it was poison I would of been dead 35 years ago

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. zunismoke

zunismoke

Login to Send PM

Nathaniel - Is the Xikar Pipeline a torch? Went to their website and it sure sounds like it. I used a torch lighter for a while, but quit as it was turning my pipes into charcoal.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I seem to be of the old, old school persuasion and light my pipe using a simple, ordinary kitchen match. For those bottom of the bowl relights, I rely on a trusty bic lighter. Inexpensive, simple, and effective.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

matches...no trouble with fuel issues I'm an Old Boy-Main/Zippo mix...Zippo's Prem-Fuel now is very good no transfer to smoke..perhaps their paste formula had it (when I smoked cigars with it I could detect)

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. smoker

smoker

Login to Send PM

bootleg them lighters look quite nice as it is i have 1 similar to them i also have an imco g77r made in austria for some reason that lasts longer than my sky.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. shimrra

shimrra

Login to Send PM

i actually started carrying around the little boxes of matches. it's $.75 for 320 matches, and i find it easier and tastier to light with them. so now i carry a bic, a zippo and matches... im a pyro

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. pipetrucker

pipetrucker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried a good many different pipe lighters before breaking down and buying an Old Boy. It was well worth the cost, and I wouldn't use anything else. Well, except for my Zippo when it's too windy for the Old Boy.

Mason

And though it is much to be a nobleman, it is more to be a gentleman. - Anthony Trollope
    Posted 3 years ago #
  31. mike68

mike68

Login to Send PM

I saw that someone mentioned the Fujima Arrow earlier...got one for $15 on ebay. Refillable butane and so far it has worked flawlessly...using it for about 2 weeks now....

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. smokindawg

smokindawg

Login to Send PM

The new zippo fluid is great with no taste. Although the old fuel had a taste, you could bypass this by lighting and letting it burn a few seconds before lighting your pipe.

I actually switched and started using campstove/lantern fuel which I didn't find to have a taste and a gallon lasts a long time. (I don't camp as much as I used too)

I actually had a nice Old Boy with the rusticated briar and brass finish. It now resides in where-a-bouts unknown NC. I also have a Pipe Maggie I use a lot and it's also made by the same company as the Old Boy.

I also have a couple Zippo lighters but haven't found them yet after the move, among a lot of my other pipe stuff. And bics lay lots of places around here for back up lighters. I find a lot of them in the river from upside down canoers and after drying out, they work like new.

Steve: Pipemaker in Training!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  33. pdmus

pdmus

Login to Send PM

I only use small boxed wood matches, they just seem to go with pipes, for me...

Photobucket">

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

A Vector butane insert in my zippo cases (have two) works great, except for very windy days. A refill lasts about two weeks.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. thekiltedchaplain

thekiltedchaplain

Login to Send PM

I use wooden matches for the most part unless I'm out and about, then its my trusty Bic.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. portascat

portascat

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Zippo "smell" reminds me of my Dad. He used pretty much exclusively Zippo lighters to light his cigs. That first little whif of naptha is a scent I associate with him.

"To seek freedom is the only driving force I know. Freedom to fly off into that infinity out there."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. zunismoke

zunismoke

Login to Send PM

I fill my zippo every 10 days or so, and a bic lasts me a good 4-5 months.
    I have used bics, but I go through thumbs too fast so I quit using them! I use old boys a lot, but I find that they are quite prone to leaks.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently bought an IMCO lighter, and it seems to go a week before needing a refill. Soft side flame, but the adjuster is touchy. Not bad for $11.00.

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. python

Bob

Would Smoke Rabbits if He Could Keep them Lit

Login to Send PM

For those of you who may not have seen it yet, I wrote a review of a few lighters that I have used.

You can read it here:

A Few Pipe Lighter Reviews

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty;
    When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  40. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Zippo pipe lighters,hard to beat. Also have four Imco G-77's thanks to friend in Tennessee.Not available locally,he picked them up at a B&M. Find them to be very dependable so far. Refill about once a week. The neatest lighter I have is a Beatie Jet that I picked up in a North Carolina flea market a couple of weeks ago.Uses Zippo fuel and flints. When the lighter is tilted so that the flame will heat that little tube a flame shoots out of the tube for pipe lighting.Check out the date on it.It was still in it's original box.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually just use a Vector pipe lighter that I got at a local tobacconist. If it runs out on me I just use matches until my lazy butt refills the lighter.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

ejames.....that's neat having the date on it...thanks for the pics

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mattsem, winton, arno665, flakyjakey, porshcigar, kimbiker