PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Hello All Again, Looking for some suggestions for a lighter for my pipe since I am still fairly new to the pipe smoking game. I currently use wood matches when smoking at home in my den. But most of the time I am using a regular bic and find myself burning my fingers occasionally and sometime the hands and fingers don't like to cooperate by the end of the day or early in the am. I used to really like DJeep Lighters and I believe they use dto have a pipe model but I am unable to find them in my area anymore. Just looking for something inexpensive to get my baccy burning. :?:

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I do own a couple Zippos but I keep my lighter in my upper shirt pocket at work for the occasional relight so I am looking for something lighter (less heavy LOL).

akpipe

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2012
IM Corona Old Boy or Zippo with a Thunderbird pipe insert.
Both are great and reliable.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have a Pipe Zippo, but I almost never use it, unless I am smoking outside. I use matches most all of the time, the longer (cigar) sized ones are my favorite.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I got a Buggati lighter free with an order of tobacco from Cigar International. I never had a torch lighter before and really like it. I have a Zippo but don't like the fumes or taste after lighting. My backup is the old standard BBQ lighter because it keeps my fingers from the flame and it's bendable to go into the bowl for lighting the bottom.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have had an Xitar scribe for about a year and I like it a lot.

It is easy to hold and reach the flame where you want it.

I use it whenever I can't use matches.
scribe.jpg

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I agree with akpipe. I have a Xikar and an ImCorona. While the Xikar (old boy) is a great little lighter, the ImCorona is much better in the wind and always dependable. By the way, ImCorona makes an Old Boy style lighter that (I strongly suspect) would come close to being the perfect small pipe lighter.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have a ton of respect for Zippos, BUT, as a pipe lighter I wasn't too impressed. I even got a pipe adapter, but the taste of fluid always came through. Plus it ran out of fluid pretty rapidly and re-filling it was a pita.
I wound up getting a Colibris about 4 mos ago and so far, very impressed. Lights like a champ and I no longer scar the bowl rim - flame goes right in. And super easy to refill.
ColibriConnaughtBlackLacquerPTR008811.jpg

Best $40 I've spent. Also bought a case of extra refined butane fluid for it for $30 which I think will keep me set for the next 2 years - lol!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Xicar Scribe is the best one I've ever used.
Stays lit until you put it out. Long design means you light your pipe and not your thumb. Classic flint design more reliable than pezio ignition.
My favorite by far.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Another vote for Zippo. They just work, all the time. I still love matches and always try to use them for at least the first light, but smoking outside makes one thankful for a windproof lighter.

james195

Lurker
Oct 27, 2012
I don't know where you're located, but CVS carries the regular rectangular Djeep lighters (at least the CVS in MA). I agree that they're great for lighting pipes, and use one all the time. They don't make the pipe lighter any longer, but you can still find Imco butane lighters online. They are light, study, and cheap, and I've had good luck with mine.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I have two from other Christmas, both with attached tampers.
A Baofa and an Eternity
The Eternity has a more reliable and consistent flame, but they both do quite well.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Zippo, Zippo and.....Zippo w/pipe inserts
+1
I picked up one for under $23.00 out the door and then went home and converted an old one my son gave me for free! Fun little project! Works as good as the new one!

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I have tried several different lighters but find the old boy the best.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
Zippo with Thunderbird soft flame pipe insert or Colibri Hummingbird. Of course, if I am outside or at work, a Bic works.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I love my Zippo pipe lighter. I almost always char with matches then use the Zippo from there out. I hate electric lighters: never had one last too long. But I desire something new! LOL An authentic Old Boy is out of the question for me but the Xicar Pipeline is one that is reach and in that design. I see that some, in this thread, and others, seem to really like their Scribe. Anyone have experience with these models to give pros/cons comparatively?

jhclark

Lurker
Feb 27, 2013
not quite a fresh thread, but I have to ask - has anyone used the XIKAR Pipeline or that general design? I know I've seen it before, but never used one (and this one has a tamper tucked inside!) I like the look of it, but don't want to spend that much money if a zippo insert is better. In the mean time, I'll char with a match and relight with a Djeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.