PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Hey all, just purchased a mr. Brog pipe lighter.
http://www.amazon.com/Tobacco-Pipe-Lighter-Czech-Tool/dp/B00DN7QQ1O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379819468&sr=8-2&keywords=pipe+lighter
I was wondering if I could use my zippo lighter fluid in this lighter or if I need something else?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I think not. Unless Zippo makes a compressed butane I have not seen, you will not be able to pour / squeeze the fluid into it. Try looking for some Vector or Xicar butane. I think you can find them on Amazon as well.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Make sure to use quality butane without a lot of impurities...you'll save yourself trouble down the road. Eagalerico gave two good suggestions.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
FYI, If this is your Zippo fuel, you can :nana:
http://www.usalighters.com/store/i/is.aspx?path=/Shared/product_pictures/zippo/3801.jpg&lr=t&bw=300&w=300&bh=300&h=300

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Zippo does make 5X butane fluid that is indeed highly refined, premium butane gas fluid.
That is good to know. I was unaware Zippo also makes/sells a quality butane.

I use Vector and Colibri butane in my lighters.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Picked up some Butane today after the pipe came in the mail. Love it, total game changer for my piping.

milesquondam

Lurker
Jan 2, 2014
Gentlemen, I started smoking pipes in 1961. I remember the first butane lighter I ever saw. I carried a Zippo lighter through two Vietnam tours, in the time-honored US military tradition. I never figured out how to attach my unit insignia to my zippos. Anyway, I do NOT recommend using old-fashioned "lighter fluid" with a pipe because it gives a stinky petroleum taste to the smoke. The old time Zippos were 100% reliable and durable, but they couldn't stand being submerged in water, a common soldiers' experience in that war zone. For pipes and cigars, I can recommend only butane. However, most butane pipe lighters, even the expensive ones, are fragile and won't last. The only exception to this are the cheap Bic-type lighters. The most durable butane lighters I've had have been the Weller, which are sold in hardware stores as pocket torches. The first one I had lasted years. The second one I just bought, and its piezo-electric snapper is already broken. Overall, I can't recommend any pipe lighter but the cheap Bic, in spite of its negative aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.