PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
In a thread started a month ago, BulldogBriar mentioned seeing a man in the airport with a pipe in his mouth. Quickly the discussion turned to the idea of having an identifying token that would silently tell the world (and more importantly each other) that we smoke a pipe proudly. A lapel pin was suggested and I still think it’s a great idea.
Whether it is a Pipemagazine endorsement or just general pipe smoking, I think we should do it! We often joke about an individual marking a "member title" milestone by getting the not at all real congratulatory PM care package. This pin idea could be something real to mark the occasion. Kevin and the mod team worry not; I am not suggesting this be financed by the site. A lot of people on the aforementioned thread showed genuine interest and many stated that they would be willing buy a pin for themselves as would I.
So what do you think‽ Either way this is something I am going to do at least for myself although I would rather have 1 of 100s of the same kinship pin roaming the globe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
11111111111Q ... my cat just entered that, apparently promoting Lane's 1-Q. He's a Maine Coon rescue

from a drain pipe. But to the point: I think a good looking, small, tasteful pipe pin might get purchased

and worn, however I suspect only a small fraction of Forums members wear suit or sports jackets, and

I'm not sure how this would go with jeans, overalls, sports clothes, etc. Seems like they'd not show up. However,

there's likely a market for these. Production of a pipe pin in briar would be pricey, unless it were farmed out

to the third world where crafts products are sometimes done by hand. Otherwise metal would be the default

material. Plastic would look too inexpensive and wouldn't get worn. Like most people, I'd want to see the item

and decide before I expressed an interest. (My cat's name is Fred, and his house mate cats are his brother

Lefty (aka Shaggy, and Garland) and Bella from Long Island, a short haired white and black cat and the hunter

and mouser in the group. She used to hunt mice, voles, garter snakes and such in the Pine Barrens on Long Island.)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do not feel the need to draw attention to my vices, fraternal and professional memberships. Such pins can draw unwanted attention when others try to figure out the meaning and then start asking questions.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You know that someone would misunderstand the pronuciation of "friend of bowls", and think you were talking about an IBS support group.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Think about this

If you want this pin made look for someone that does casting in pewter

There is a way to mass produced. For reference look at the pewter chessmen
John

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I think it's a great idea and definitely would wear something like that.

I Googled pipe lapel pins, tie tacks and cuff links and they are a few that came up. Not sure how readily available they are though?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found this on Etsy, another tie tac.
il_570xN.659393605_azgb.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Putting a pin on a hat isn't a bad idea, like the union badges, but for pipers.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I am having some made up for the New Orleans Pipe Show....I am going to look into doing a version just for pioe smokers...I have a few ideas

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
pipebaum81 thank you for the mention of my old post. I completely forgot about it until I saw my name in here. I would be willing to wear one. If their is allot of interest in this I would be willing to look into seeing if a friend of mine would be willing to make them and then distribute them.

Status
Not open for further replies.