PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Yesterday on my way out to NJ I must have dropped my pipe knife somewhere. It was an old one that came from my late Mother. I am not too freaked out about it as I have both my Fathers and Grand Fathers pipes tools whereas this was just a knife I used to cut up tobacco with and scrape my pipe out with it. Has anyone got any thoughts on pipe knifes. I have a couple of knife/tamper tools but I just want to buy a good and disposable pipe tool. Any suggestions guys?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Condor I bought a Mercator Black Cat Folding knife from Amazon, 30$ made in Germany, thin cuts plug good. The other knife I have is a Sheffield, blunt blade for scrapeing coke, tamper on one end, pick, really a good tool. The Black Cat has the length of blade good to cut plug but the point on blade is dangerous to btm of bowls. LOL

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
I just carry an imperial pocket knife. Nothing special, I keep it sharp. It has a rounded tip so it is good right down to the bottom of the bowl.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
one of these slices through Gaslight plug as if it was warm butter. I think I paid around $25 at the local mill.

Case Cutlery 032 Case Sod Buster Jr

032.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I carry any of several pocket knives, but I don't put any kind of a cutting blade into a pipe bowl. Many might

do fine with that, but I'd do damage. I'm devoted to the simplicity and efficiency of a pipe nail as a tool, and

I use an old Chicago kitchen knife to cut plugs. I don't own a reamer. Iwan Ries has a handsome stainless

steel folding pipe tool that looks like a pocket knife and costs about $25, if I recall. If I used them, I'd get

that one.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I am a fan of the KAT knife, from Mercator, for a general utility knife. Make sure you actually get the Mercator, and not a Chinese copy. The Mercators are not expensive.
I don't have one of these,
http://www.opinel-usa.com/
but I want one. Good solid utility knives for what I can tell.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I always hear the Savinelli Fitsall is a great pipe knife. I haven't tried it before and it's not your typical pipe knife, but from people that have used it say it's the best.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Oops I think I misunderstood. You wanted a knife for tobacco not for reaming, lol.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Byproduct of combustion is called coke, not to be confused with runny noses . We call it cake but that isn't the correct term. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, This old Cajun was never in the Fast Lane.LOL

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Solingen steel is my favorite. It will rust but easy to keep sharp. Find an old "Boker USA" on the tang and bone handles.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Good news. I walked into my apartment in the city after a week in NJ and there was my Mothers pen knife sitting on the table. I guess St Thomas must have been doing over time on that one. Anyway I have locked it in a drawer and ordered a Mercator Black Cat knife to avoid any further disasters. Thanks for all your input chaps!

Status
Not open for further replies.