PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Various online retailers offer pipe starter kits which usually include at least one pipe, a tin or pouch or several of tobacco blends of either similar or various kinds, a pipe tool, and pipe cleaners, maybe a lighter. I started with a pipe when I was over thirty having grown up watching my dad smoke a pipe, so when I went about putting together the pipe, tobacco and supplies, I somewhat knew what I needed and intentionally selected individual items to suit me, each selected for my own reasons or tastes, and all within a limited budget. Yet I often stop to study the kits to visualize what a new piper would gain or lose buying a kit rather than studying up and selecting separately. I've always been inclined to prompt newbies to select individual items, to learn about what they're buying, even if they spent a few bucks more in the process. Still, I can see the benefit both in economy and completeness in starting out with a kit, ready to go, to focus on learning to smoke a pipe rather than on the merchandise. I'd still choose to do it my way, but I can see the advantages of a kit. What are your thoughts, a pipe kit yeah or nay? I confess I enjoy visualizing the various kit offers and what I would include or substitute.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'd say yeah, a pipe kit, especially like the offers I see regularly over at P&C's, could be a great benefit to a newbie. If I had known they existed when I started, maybe I'd have bought one myself. They're typically a pretty good bargain and include everything you need. Some even include a pipe bag with tobacco pouch. Seems like a steal to me. Plus you have everything you need to get you started without worry about this or that. You can always buy items more tailored to your tastes after you've learned the beginning steps and how to use the pieces of the puzzle to make your smoking experience enjoyable, so I say hell yeah to a kit for starters. I nearly bought one for myself a few weeks ago when I saw it in the catalog, but then alas, they were all gone.

Jan 8, 2013
I say the kits are great, especially for a new pipe smoker. When I first began smoking a pipe, I bought a cheap pear wood pipe off of Amazon, and a pouch of Super Value Buttered Rum and Captain Black (white) from a nearby "tobacco shop." I did't even know it was legal to buy tobacco online until Pipesmagazine opened my eyes to the wonders of the pipe and tobacco world. If I'd know about the kits, I'd have gone that route instead.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've never seen one with a great pipe either, but I feel that most provide something adequate for the cost for a new pipe smoker. I'd be all over it just because I don't know any other pipe smokers outside of y'all and the few in my pipe club. Starting out, I didn't have help, so I view the kit as a great way to begin that journey if you're flying solo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As intrigued as I have been, once you've gotten some nicotine on your thumbs, you pretty much have your kit times ten. Like visiting a grammar school, interesting but not to be repeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.