PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeropuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2016
I enjoy a little pipe juice in my mouth.

Back in the 40's and 50's before pipe cleaners were widely available, a pipe smoker would take the stem out of his pipe and blow a big blast of air thru the stem. There by clearing the pipe juice out of the stem. When he got a little pipe juice in his mouth is when he would do the blow job.

I live in a country that doesn't have a post office. I can't get any more pipe cleaners here. The P.O. didn't close down because of war. But if you live in a country that seems to be marching to nuke war, then if there was one, your P.O. would close down also. You need to have as many pipe cleaners as you have bowls of pipe tobacco in your cellar.

Or, you can be like me.

Enjoy a little pipe juice in your mouth.

Jan 8, 2013
To each their own, I suppose. No pipe juice for me, though. yuck. What country do you live in Aeropuffer, that your post office was closed?

You could take what dirty pipe cleaners you have, put them in a pillow case and run them through the wash. I wish I could just flings some down to you, or drone some down. Do you have a craft store there? I know that craft pipe cleaners aren't the best, but in a pinch....

it must be frustrating to have Internet, seeing all the stuff online, and not be able to access anything in real life. I feel for ya.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I read elsewhere that chicken feathers were used. Having a hard time imagining myself shoving one of these down the stem, but I'm lucky enough to have pipe cleaners.

Not to rub it in, sorry.
Go find a chicken and let us know how it goes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I imagine a feather would work fine, if you took scissors and cut all but about 1/8" off either side of the quill.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Blowing through or shaking the stem won't get rid of the juice in the shank. If you could lay hands on a Falcon, or one of those idiotic-looking contraptions with a spit-valve, you could do away with pipecleaners.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
A Kaywoodie with a screw in stem and stinger might also work. Remove the stem mid-smoke,flick,wipe off the stinger then run some q-tips in the shank.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have been trying to order pipe cleaners every time I order tobacco online. Pipe juice sounds terrible, and I get it occasionally, and it tastes worse than it sounds!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'll second the feather solution. Apparently that is what folks used afore pipecleaners became widely available.
Get yourself a pet goose or chicken for a continuous supply, the bonus of that idea of course is that you will get the occasional egg for breakfast :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good plan!
I, for one, don't like anything running out of my stem, unless I wish it so! So, drying tobacco is the key: Then, no gurgle, no unpleasant emissions from the pipe stem, no carpet clogging, etc.
Try it; you'll like it!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Also, I have chickens, ducks, and a goose. I have to say, they are dirty little creatures. I'd be hesitant to actually use them as pipe cleaners. The feathers I pluck at butcher time are the cleanest, as they get scalded. Maybe I should consider cleaning some and trying this out.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I knew Canadians were behind this somehow. 8) Sorry to hear Aeropuffer. I would come down there and open the post office myself if I had the means. Beautiful country. I like the tall grasses idea, instead of pipe cleaners. Dry the grasses, then smack the ends to shreds. Pull them through, intact end first and the shredded end should grab most moisture. Best of luck!

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Fitzy as Dougal would say that's mad Ted.
Aeropuffer you could try rolling paper towel into shape,works for me when I'm stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.