PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just a quick four-day trip to Jersey for a high school graduating senior's (wife's grandchild) dance recital. Lively family visiting and some down time roaming around, fun trip. I took along but one MM cob with Forever stem, and found two opportunities to smoke. The Marriot where we stayed had a well developed outdoor area with ash trays. Though a soaking rain fell all that day, there was plenty of overhang and cubby holes to light up. I just had Chatham Hall, but it was a welcome contemplative time. Later at the horse farm residence, on a sunny afternoon, I stood at the fence and enjoyed the horses and had a second bowl.
We checked out the nearby Wawa, a Jersey gas station and convenience store chain with highly developed snack, grocery, coffee, and food service, a real cross section of humanity. It was quite a scene, a Jersey tourist stop worth seeing. Picked up two coffees and two breakfast sandwiches for about six bucks. Lots of ciggies, chewing 'baccy, but no pipe tobacco at all. Asked for tobacco pipes at a local antique store; she said they have them now and then, but not that day.
And finally, asked around at hotel, Wawa, and other places. Postcards are a thing of the past. People text and send selfies. I still made one by hand out of a brochure and sent it to my sister, just for sport. Maybe I'll do that with index cards and supply the art in pen-and-ink.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Is Chatham Hall a 1:1 mixture of your own; Carter Hall and Chatham Manor? I'm glad you got a couple chances to light up on your trip, and making your own postcard is a really cool thing. I commend you sir.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mothernature ... oops, it's Chatham Manor, which is a PC match to Carter Hall. I carried it in a fold-up pouch that I was given by Jerry Perry, the pipe carver, at last year's TAPS pipe show. 'Have to use up the rest, about a bowl's worth. I just rolled the pipe nail and matches in the pouch. No problem with it in my backpack carry-on.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I never thought of a Wawa as an attraction! Those big ones in Jersey are like small airports. I'm a fan of Wawa coffee and "shorty" subs (veggie) when traveling in NJ.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A few years ago I had an app on my iPhone that made digital postcards out of photos on the phone. App got sided some time ago, so can't give you the name, nor do I know what phone you have. But I am sure there are such apps for free- just don't know what to recommend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since the postcard is so out in the text and selfie world, maybe it's best to do a full retro and get something like card stock that will take ink and do my own drawings, either representing the sights on my journey or anything else that crosses my mind, or do collages if I want to prep cards at home. I remember when every hotel and motel had a wire rack of postcards, even if they were sometimes a little dusty. At least the young desk clerk at our hotel knew what a postcard is -- finding someone who doesn't know is next. I think there is some push-back on devices and technology. It isn't going away, and I don't want it to. But young people are opting out of facebook now that their parents and grandparents are there, and people are rebelling by not responding to texts and tweets and such, instagram. I think people have tumbled to the fact that they are being very controlled and don't like it. The sociability and companionability aspect is becoming suspect, with the intrusive ads and scams.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
So true mso489 both my twenty something kids have deleted Facebook and the other apps are soon to follow. That stuff can get real ugly fast. I read an article today about the guy that "invented" the internet he's kind of chagrined about the outcome but sees potential

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Postcards are a thing of the past. People text and send selfies.
Another sad demise of the past that is being self-inflicted. I would much rather send or receive a postcard--- so much more personal. I have cards sent me by people many years ago. It has something of the person in it. I neither send nor receive selfies and texts--- it takes all of 2 seconds to make one I suppose, so much faster, cheaper and easier, so you are much more inclined to do it on a whim for no reason. That's what made a postcard special---

Status
Not open for further replies.