PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toirtis

Lurker
May 2, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
OK, I piked up three pipes at a flea market yesterday, and I am having difficulty nailing down an ID on them. Two have the same markings, which seem a bit confusing, although I am sure that the stem and bowl are original mates:

The third pipe is different, yet also has markings that I am unsure on. The stem's mark looks similar to the Brebbia diamond, but it has sharper points:

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/motifs/losange.html
According to this and my stanky ol' wizard eyes, that Commodore may be a Brebbia? The one with a circled C looks to be a Conway?

Aug 1, 2012
that Commodore may be a Brebbia?
Good thought but Brebbia never to my knowledge made anything in France.
To my eyes, and my research, these look like a couple of older pipes from brands long since forgotten. Good luck on the resto and I hope they smoke well for you.

toirtis

Lurker
May 2, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
At first glance, I thought Comoy and Brebbia, but then I could not connect any known © marking maker with the stamp "Briar Mount", so I abandoned the Comoy idea, and with the other pipe, the diamond was too pointy for Brebbia, and as has been mentioned, there is no evidence that any Brebbia was ever made in France.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the "Imported Briar" stamp indicates a U.S. made pipe. That relates to the scarcity of briar during

WWII, the use of other pipe materials, and the desire to advertise the return to "real" imported briar after

the war. When I saw the circle C, I thought of Chacom, but it wouldn't have the "Imported Briar" stamp.

I think some U.S. pipe manufacturers still use the "Imported Briar" stamp; it's just become a tradition, I

guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.