PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
So growing up I always hear smoking cigarettes is bad, who hasn't heard that at least a couple hundred times? But I never hear anything bad about pipe smoking, either it's because its not as popular or people don't think of it as bad thing. My question is, has anyone ever seen personally or heard of any cases where pipe smoking has harmed ones health? I always hear about cigarette smokers dying, but have never seen one myself. My family has smokers and all the elders who did smoke died due to other natural causes or other health issues... I personally smoked cigarettes when I was younger practically everyday at the skate park with my friends, but stopped and recently got into pipe smoking.
So anyone know of any true health risks?

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
I see! Interesting! I am not worried as I could worry about my health and be a health freak and one day die from getting hit by a bus, so why worry about that when I can enjoy a pipe?

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
I love the non-addicting aspect of pipes. One can kind of choose to be addicted to it. But I think of pipe smoking more of a pleasurable, fun thing to do rather than something I need, but I am sure many other see this the same.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
If you're an occasional or somewhat regular pipe smoker even (say a couple or few times a week) you're not at a very high risk statistically from what i've read. I smoke less regular than that, in winter anyway.
And to answer one of your questions of cigarette smokers actually dying as a result of smoking, i've known quite a number that have. No type of smoking is good for you, though some and in moderate (some would argue even daily) consumption are at a much lower risk than cigarette smokers.
A lot of people find it very relaxing to smoke a pipe and for that reason alone pipe smoking poses a benefit to ones 'health.' I smoke for the enjoyment of it, its not a necessity in my life and I could live without it, and perhaps one day I will, but for now I'm not worried with the amount I smoke a pipe and it brings me a lot of enjoyment so I do it.

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Wow bigboi, that was very interesting! I would be a 2 bowls every 2-3 days kind of smoker. So I would imagine where I work, being closed in a warehouse with truck fumes all day is much worse than smoking a pipe? haha

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
Smoking one or two bowls daily, it does not even register as a concern to me. I get alot of enjoyment out of it. I eat healthy and exercise regularly so why not have some enjoyment in life.
I know a cigarette smoker that has smoked unfiltered since he was a teenager and is now in late 80's and still going through a pack a day with no health issues. Smoking, and especially inhaling, is not healthy, but it seems to affect everyone differently. As long as pipe smoking is done in moderation without inhaling and you keep your health and exercise in check, then puff on!

chasethorn

Lurker
Apr 5, 2013
Mike, What I meant was that I would not depend on my pipe like I would a pack of cigarettes! haha Should have worded that a little differently! I find it funny too. I think this is more of a hobby than an addiction, but than again, what hobby isn't an addiction? haha

Jul 15, 2011
Heres the way that I look at it: If you look deep enough into the media these days, those smarmy ass wipes will try and convince you that anything and everything is bad for you, regardless of what it is. Too much sun, not enough sun, too much exposure to moonlight, too many vegetables, not enough fruits, riding in a vehicle more than 5 minutes a day, too much exercise, not enough antioxidants, not enough stress, too much stress, too much water, not enough water, too much exposure to mold, you get the idea. Hell, I saw a news report a few weeks ago that said that MULTI VITAMIN PILLS might do more harm than good, and we are always told that is what our bodies need. Here's my philosophy as was stated by someone before: Moderation combined with relaxation and peace of mind. Do what makes you feel good, do what relaxes you, do what keeps your stress level down, but know your limits. A pipe a few times a week and a few beers on the weekend isnt going to kill you. Smoking crack and shooting heroin 10 times a day every day for 10 years definitely will kill you. Have fun, dont worry, and enjoy life while you can.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Congrats coalsmoke on the weight loss. Been fighting that battle all my life: up-down; up-down. Now that I've hit geezer status, I find that a bowl a day is just what I need to keep me from worrying myself to an early grave.
I never smoked cigarettes (transparency: I tried 'em, didn't like 'em, went straight to the pipe as a teenager). But, I dearly loved my pipe to the point that at one time, I was smoking about a pound every two weeks! There was a lot of stress in my life then.
And then, I just quit. Doc told me my lungs were hazy looking. That stopped me in my tracks. I didn't inhale pipe smoke, but, obviously, something was up.
So for more than 20 years, I didn't smoke anything at all: no pipes, no cigars.
Then when I hit my 50s, I decided I could dust off my old pipes, clean them up, and see what happened.
I did. Then I fell right back into what Mike calls the addiction side of this thing: buying pipes, learning more about tobacco (was always a SWR, PA, Edwards tobacco man) and moving on to the point that I now have 60+ pipes, a tobacco cellar, and look forward to every day when I can have one to two bowls of something old, something new, something true.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I'm going to say this for the record. Everyone is different. You really have no way of knowing if it lead to it. So people smoke cigarettes and live to an old age and others don't. I agree with the other statement that it's all about moderation.
Hell, the air we breath can cause cancer. I get this question sometimes from people wanting to put pipe smoking down and what's even funnier they are cigarette smokers smoking 3-5 pks. a day! :rofl:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Coalsmoke
Congrats on that extremely challenging task of losing 60 pounds!
I have also lost almost thirty pounds in conjunction with pipe smoking
Trading one devil for another. lol
I find that pipe smoking curtails my appetite way more than cigars have ever done

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Anything can be bad for you, you can die from drinking to much water, oe even swallowing alot of toothpaste. I personally have never heard of anyone who smokes a pipe living shorter. Ususally the opposite, cause one may gointo a Zen phase. Im more worried about the RX drugs that the FDA says are great, and then a year later everyone starts dropping like flies!

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I have definitely known people to die--and die early--as a result of cigarettes. Way too many of 'em. There are always those old codgers who somehow live to be a hundred and smoke 50 unfiltered Pall Malls a day, but for every one of them, there are hundreds of people that cigarettes kill.
On the other hand, I have personally never known, or eve heard of, anyone being killed, or even seriously harmed, by pipe smoking. Wait--I take that back--I did know one guy who worked in a cigar store, exposed to tons of smoke every day, who developed an allergy to tobacco smoke and had to quit the pipe store and smoking a pipe. That's it. There are people in my family who smoked pipes constantly and lived well into their 90s.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I have definitely known people to die--and die early--as a result of cigarettes. Way too many of 'em. There are always those old codgers who somehow live to be a hundred and smoke 50 unfiltered Pall Malls a day, but for every one of them, there are hundreds of people that cigarettes kill.
On the other hand, I have personally never known, or even heard of, anyone being killed, or even seriously harmed, by pipe smoking. Wait--I take that back--I did know one guy who worked in a cigar store, exposed to tons of smoke every day, who developed an allergy to tobacco smoke and had to quit the pipe store and smoking a pipe. That's it. There are people in my family who smoked pipes constantly and lived well into their 90s.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I smoke 5 to 8 bowls a day. Low nic Lat blends mainly. Been piping 30+ yrs. I powerwalk 6 miles every other day. Never felt better. My advice is enjoy your pipes. Listen to your body. It'll tell you what to do. Follow your feet!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
FWIW my biggest health risk has always been my weight. I am currently on Weight Watchers with good results so far. I enjoy hiking and the many trails in my area are a boon for weight loss. I find that occasional bowl helps curb my appetite when I am hungry. I get to taste something and chew on my pipe (I use softie bits) and it is satisfying. There are no calories in a bowl of tobacco!

Status
Not open for further replies.