Pipe ghosting, should i be too worried??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
I'm new to the world of pipe smoking and made a rookie mistake of getting some Clan tobacco as my first foray into pipes.
I've got my first order of decent tobacco through today (Vanilla Honeydew, 1Q and 7 seas royal) but am wondering if it's ok to just stick a bowl in my corn cob and smoke it or if the previous 4 or 5 bowls of Clan will affect the flavor too much? I'm not too sure i could taste much difference as i'm not too good at detecting the subtle differences yet?
What's the general opinion on putting new tobacco in a pipe. Will it really make much of a difference?

jaxz

Lurker
Apr 23, 2009
The beautiful thing about cobs is they don't ghost, or at least not very well. Smoke whatever you want in the cob, you'll be fine.
When it comes to ghosting (briers) this is a personal preference if you ask me. I think with enough time you'll start detecting the ghosted tobacco in your pipe as you gain more and more experience. If it isn't going to bother you then go for it.
Otherwise, if you want to really enjoy the subtleties of your blends try to build up a small collection of pipes to avoid mixing blends.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Welcome to the forums jules, you've come to the right place to explore your new hobby!

As you'll soon discover from spending a little time on the forums, there's really no way to stop yourself from amassing quantities of pipes and tobaccos now. :wink: So consider that in the equation.

As for ghosting, a lot depends on your smoking style. As jaxz says cobs don't ghost considerably--they "breathe" a lot more than a briar pipe, and in the worst case scenario are easily replaced.

There are a number of threads and articles on the site regarding ghosting of briars and dedicating pipes to particular tobaccos, genres, or not at all, and you'll see that it's largely a matter of personal preference; there's really no one right answer. I will however take a guess that you're asking in regards to developing your sense of taste about smoking the pipe, in which case I would recommend that you do dedicate to genres, at least to begin with, in order to allow your head and your taste buds to grow accustomed to the experience. Genre dedication is reserving a pipe for a particular type of tobacco--one for heavily cased aromatics, one for english mixtures, one for heavy cigar flavors, etc. This way you'll minimize the intrusion on any flavors from tobacco to tobacco. Also get in the habit of a daily cleaning for any pipe you smoke--not an overhaul, just a quick run of a pipe cleaner through the stem and a wipe of the bowl. In time your personal style will evolve around what feels and tastes right to you.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Thanks for the help guys, i've learnt a heck of a lot so far from this forum. It's a steep learning curve but am loving it so far.
I've got a new FLN pipe on the way so i'll definitely keep that for the Aromatics i've got so far and then when i move onto some others it'll give me a good excuse to get a different pipe :wink:
One more question is about estate pipes as i picked up one from Ebay the other day, how should i best clean it to get rid of the taste of whatever was smoked in it before? Had a look on here and loads of people seem to mention Everclear but i can't get that in the UK would a pipe freshener like Deniclean do the same job and should i just wipe it round the bowl with a cotton bud or pipe cleaner?
So much to learn, but thanks again for the help so far :mrgreen:

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
While I have never smoked Clan...I can testify to your good taste in Scotch as Oban is one fine whiskey!

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
Hi Julesholling. I am also in the UK. Clan is not a very nice tobacco. ( I am being polite here ) Of course, that's only my opinion...
If you're new to pipe smoking then might I suggest Erinmore Mixture? It's got a mild/medium strength and has a good flavour so it wont blow your head off. In myopinion, and excellent starter blend. Most Tesco's stock this blend, and for an OTC it's not bad.
P.S. Don't buy the Erinmore flake , as it's a different beast entirely, and perhaps a tad too strong to begin with.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Welcome to the forums Jules. Cobs are very forgiving. Briars on the other hand can be fussy. I have never tried Clan but have yet to hear any good reviews of it. I agree on the Erinmore Mixture. It is nice and fairly light. I prefer the flake myself but I have smoked a pipe for over 40 years and also like the G&H black twist a lot.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
The way I look at everything related to pipe smoking can be summed up in two sentences: Don't worry, load up and light a bowl of a good baccy. Nothing matters beyond doing that.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Cheers guys, smoked my first bowl of Lanes 1Q last night and it was a world apart. The Clan is going straight in the bin!
Am looking forward to trying the Mac Barens 7 Seas Regular and Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew that i got yesterday over the next couple of days too :)

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Arthur, you are a mean old man! Suggesting black twist to a new pipe smoker indeed. Three puffs and he won't be able to find his backside with his hands in his hip pockets. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.