PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
With luck following my wife's doctor appointment tomorrow I will go shopping for an estate pipe. My goal is to find a pipe that I can dedicate to Virginia tobaccos (non-aro). I expect to find some Savinellis that my brick & mortar fellow is cleaning up. Is there any size, shape, etc. that I should look for? Or is it only a matter of personal preference as to shape? Have heard that perhaps the size and shape of the bowl internally could make a difference in the tobacco used. If it matters, I will get an adapter to use instead of using the filters in the Savinelli. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2012
Most here will probably recommend a group 4-5 pipe with a conical bowl. Most common in that camp would be a Dublin. Me, my best flake pipes are both prince shape in the group 2-3 size. Good luck and have fun finding a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I've had the most enjoyable experiences with Virginia tobaccos in somewhat smaller pipes; Group 3

seems about right, and in my case this means a Peterson bent bulldog, a Peterson bent Rhodesian with a

P-Lip (my only pipe with that), and a Joh's straight bulldog. Nothing wrong with a Group 4 for this purpose,

but it seems Virginia keeps burning, and is more evenly flavorful with these pipes.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Must admit that my pipe preferences lean towards the bent billiard or brandy, but have been feeling a desire for a bent Rhodesian. But honestly doubt that there will be one at the pipe shop, though I will look and ask. I guess another possibility is to dedicate my Dad's acorn straight stem Kaywoodie; it is on the smallish size. But I don't always get good tasting smokes from it for whatever reason.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Roth, I think most of the pipes my B&M offers have been used for aromatics. The two I bought so far were, but have been doing nicely even with my Frog Morton and my little bit of Virginia tobacco (more on order). I appreciate the advice, will definitely see how they smell, and will ask how to clean it more thoroughly as necessary.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I find the pipes that smoke flake virginias well are different than the ones that smoke ribbon virginias well. The smaller Group 1 & 2 stuff is great for flakes. My favorite is a zulu or cutty. On the other hand, I hear of alot people recommending Chimney/Stacks for Virginias but I find ribbon cut va/vapers all smoke fine in almost any average to larger bowl but I like it best in billiards/dublins. Probably the only general shape I wouldn't recommend for virginias would be a squat shape like a bulldog.
Otherwise, I generally agree with Roth's comments about width but even then, I have some wider pot shapes that actually smoke flake virginias well too.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
John, as you are somewhat new, welcome.
I have a 1/8 bent Billiard Mastro de Paja, and two 1/4 bent Savinelli Dublins that are dedicated to Virginia, VaPer, and VaBur flakes that all work well.
I have 4 Savs, and they have all been good pipes.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I find any pipe that is wider at the bottom then goes more narrow at the top is ideal for Va's. My peterson I've dedicated to Christmas Cheer smokes great and it's one of my biggest bowls, most of my other Va pipes are smaller bowls, as I find Va to be a pretty strong smoke, therefore not as much is needed, plus usually towards the end it gets kind of nasty tasting, which is why I prefer smaller bowls usually.

Wider to smaller bowl I mean like this

peterson16.gif

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke Virginia, Vaper and Vabur flakes exclusively and my favorite size pipes are group 4-5. My favorite shapes are Dublins, Apples, Rhodesians, Billiards, Lovats, Zulu's and Brandy's. I keep the bowl width from .75-.80 and enjoy a multitude of different blends with all of these shapes.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Just back from Ted's Tobacco. He didn't have the estate Savinellis he thought he had, so I picked up a new Big Ben slightly-bent brandy shaped pipe; non-filter with a saddle bit. The bowl measures just a bit less than 3/4 inch inside diameter, and just a bit more than an inch and a half deep. Nice looking pipe; have no idea how it will smoke but seems to be correctly bored and has a nice draw. Since it is new I will have no problem with ghosting. Now I have to learn how to break-in a new pipe!

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
This place as you know is awesome and will have more info than can even be absorbed. I every now and then feel I am short changing people without my classic bit of advice. Its a piece of wood, 2 holes. Put tobacco in the big hole, set fire to it. Put small hole end in mouth and sip. If the fire goes out set fire to it again. Repeate untill done. That's it. We all like to make it more complicated sometimes though.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Seems like the answer to your question is that the perfect Virginia pipe is, first and foremost, the one that appeals to your own eyes. All of these different opinions just confirms for me that there are no sure-shot rules to pairing pipes and tobaccos. I for one have two very different, yet similar pipes I've dedicated to Virginias. Both are chimneys; I like my Virginas flake cut, so this shape lets me fold and stuff with no fuss. However, one is a dainty little thing that's closer to a group 2 than it is to a group 3; the other is a massive "house pipe" that will fit three folded FVFs easily. Both smoke really well. I think the key to enjoying any tobacco is the dedication process. IMO, as long as that pipe is wedded to a particular tobacco you should get the most enjoyment out of your smoke.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Now I have to learn how to break-in a new pipe!
Coating the inside of the bowl with a thin layer of honey and then letting it dry overnight helps build cake, but the best advice is start with half bowls, move to 3/4's, and then eventually to full bowls, the sugar content in the honey will help build up carbon, but really there's not much too it. Take more care to wipe the bowl out with tissue paper after every smoke so you might never have to actually ream it.

Aug 14, 2012
I believe that the stain on a pipe is quite relevant to the tobacco smoked. Virginias are best in a more natural finished stain. Pipes with darker stains have a taste more suited to heavier mixtures, such as Latakias.

Status
Not open for further replies.